WTN: (sort of) a Champagne tasting (Krug, Salon, Bollinger, Pommery...)

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: (sort of) a Champagne tasting (Krug, Salon, Bollinger, Pommery...)

Postby David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 pm

Local shop held their annual Champagne bash. I look at this even as a chance to get Laura to authorize significant buying :wink: and it usually works.

Highlights:

1995 Krug - Duh! Delicious, incredibly long. Not much is worth 2 bills, but Krug is. Nothing compares.

1988 Pommery Cuvee Louise - I love the '88 vintage, and for this to still be around is a real treat. Steely, but rich.

1995 Charles Heidsick Blanc de Millenaires - Bargain (if such can be said) of the tasting with great weight, but also great delicacy

1996 Taitinger Comtes de Champagne - Power allied with incredible finesse. If Krug was a BdB it would be this wine

1996 Bollinger Grande Annee - I've been able to sample this wine three years in a row without opening nay of my stash! Delish. Rich, powerful, truly Bollinger!

The current edition of the Laurent-Perrier Brut L.P. is delish. It's a bit rounder than usual (2003 at work here?) but still very refreshing and balanced. It also comes locally in 375s which is great for those times when you need to get up the next morning!

Gosset Grande Reserve was also very, very good.

The 1995 Salon was truly disappointing. Maybe it's closed down. The 1999 Veuve Cliquot wasn't worth drinking. Somebody help me...I DO NOT GET Dom Perignon. I have never been thrilled except with the 1985 Rose.

I tried a lot of other things, but those were the standouts.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: (sort of) a Champagne tasting (Krug, Salon, Bollinger, Pommery...)

Postby Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:33 pm

Dom--96 and 73 drunk twice in the last 7-8 years. Most of the others I've had made me think I'd rather have something else for less money, but those two vintages were god nectar. Otherwise, I'm you with on Krug--most of the time, nothing compares.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby James Roscoe » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:42 pm

I have the "89 Louise. It is a treat. I am a big fan of the Pommery stable. We see a lot of it in this area. It's some nice fizz. The Heidseck is awfully good stuff too, but I'm a cheap slut when it comes to champagne. I wish I could taste the Krug. Someday...
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby JoePerry » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:34 am

I loved the 96 Dom and 82 Dom, all others have been dullsville for me as well.

Thanks for the note on the 95 Salon, important to know that we should look elsewhere.

Best,
Joe
JoePerry
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:39 pm

JoePerry wrote:Thanks for the note on the 95 Salon, important to know that we should look elsewhere.

Best,
Joe

And the '96 Salon is $300!!! Yikes!!!
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 am

Have to concur concerning Krug. Their whole line--Grand Cuvee, vintage, rose, single-vineyard--is at the top of its class. And often not the most expensive in its category, either. You pay a lot, but here you get your money's worth.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Return to Wine Focus