The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26641

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by Jenise » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:17 pm

Let me say off the top that I know nothing of this wine except that, for $22, it's very good. It's not a wine you'd mistake for Krug, but it has that essential French Champagne character that's so unmistakeable and unduplicatable outside of France. Delicious yeasty nose and on the palate, rich golden delicious apple and fresh baked bread. A case buy from Pete's Market, Seattle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by James Roscoe » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:27 pm

Champagne for $22 is better than an American sparkler for $15. Take that Gruet! You just can't get the essence of Champagne from anything else. I'm glad you found a source. I am headed back to Calvert-Woodley in DC to pick up some more Henri Abele at the same price. Thanks for the note Jenise!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3972

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by Bob Henrick » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:49 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Champagne for $22 is better than an American sparkler for $15. Take that Gruet!


James, it is easy to forget that not everyone lives in a place that he/she can just run down to the corner grocery and get $22 champagne. I have the Gruet at $15, and am not ashamed to say so.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by James Roscoe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:James, it is easy to forget that not everyone lives in a place that he/she can just run down to the corner grocery and get $22 champagne. I have the Gruet at $15, and am not ashamed to say so.


Bob, my apologies. You are correct. It's so nice living near DC where we are allocated some of the best qpr from overseas. As I live in the "Capital of the Free World" it's not surprising I can find the good stuff at a good price. What is amazing is that Jenise found some good stuff out in the provinces.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26641

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by Jenise » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Champagne for $22 is better than an American sparkler for $15. Take that Gruet!


James, it is easy to forget that not everyone lives in a place that he/she can just run down to the corner grocery and get $22 champagne. I have the Gruet at $15, and am not ashamed to say so.


Bob, we served this Triolet and the Gruet side by side last Friday night and I'm sorry, but no contest. And I don't think anyone needs to remonstrated for worrying about who can get what where when they make the observation James did, and which I agree with. Furthermore, I remember having Gruet on all-Champagne evenings and finding that the wine held it's own for QPR, but Friday's experience and several tries of various Gruets over the last three years have been unsuccessful at impressing me as much as they used to. The wines just don't have the verve and character they used to; in fact, they taste simple and dilute.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3972

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Bob, we served this Triolet and the Gruet side by side last Friday night and I'm sorry, but no contest. And I don't think anyone needs to remonstrated for worrying about who can get what where when they make the observation James did, and which I agree with. Furthermore, I remember having Gruet on all-Champagne evenings and finding that the wine held it's own for QPR, but Friday's experience and several tries of various Gruets over the last three years have been unsuccessful at impressing me as much as they used to. The wines just don't have the verve and character they used to; in fact, they taste simple and dilute.


Jenise wrote:Bob, we served this Triolet and the Gruet side by side last Friday night and I'm sorry, but no contest. And I don't think anyone needs to remonstrated for worrying about who can get what where when they make the observation James did, and which I agree with. Furthermore, I remember having Gruet on all-Champagne evenings and finding that the wine held it's own for QPR, but Friday's experience and several tries of various Gruets over the last three years have been unsuccessful at impressing me as much as they used to. The wines just don't have the verve and character they used to; in fact, they taste simple and dilute.


Jenise, I could but won't go to my BAWS and make a list of prices and names of sparklers available, but I won't as that would be an exercise in futility. It is a fact though that I made a 150 mile round trip to get the Gruet (among other wines) just this past Saturday. I know it is hard to believe that there are wine deprived places in these United States, but believe.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by James Roscoe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:18 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Jenise, I could but won't go to my BAWS and make a list of prices and names of sparklers available, but I won't as that would be an exercise in futility. It is a fact though that I made a 150 mile round trip to get the Gruet (among other wines) just this past Saturday. I know it is hard to believe that there are wine deprived places in these United States, but believe.


Bob, It's amazing that there are places in this land of opportunity where you can't find a decent sparkler for under $20 or even $15. My "go-to" for qpr is always a French cremant whether from Alsace (the Albrecht rose is great) or Burgundy (they use the same grapes as Champagne) I can usually steal on for under $15 even in Maryland! Your point is well-taken. Congratulations to Jenise for finding such a great qpr in the Seattle-Vancouver area. Maybe you are getting the leftovers from the last Microsoft party?
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26641

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: NV Thierry Triolet Grande Reserve Champagne

by Jenise » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:46 pm

James, wine finds it way to wherever there's money, and there's plenty of money in Seattle! Plus, we have to entertain ourselves during these long winter nights, no? :)

I'm actually 120 miles north of Seattle though in an area Bucko considers a backward hippie haven, though it's been a long time since that was actually true. I'm continually impressed by what's available here--not many of the big big names (as you'd find in Seattle), but far more of the esoteric, small boutique local and international curiosities of the intellectual kind. And anything else, I can order from out of state. And I do. Hence the cases of Gosset, Heidsieck, Deutz etc I recently bought for $16-$21.

That's where Bob suffers. Can't get it locally AND can't order from out of state. Bob, I feel for you, but please don't take it personally when I gloat over my good fortune. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign