Another topic I can contribute, great! I love to pair the northern Rhone Syrahs with lamb and seem to prefer them to their southern cousins because of their more elegant and "cooler" flavour profile.
- 2000 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (12/4/2006)
Still youthful, almost no signs of age. Typical young northern Rhone Syrah with nice dark fruit, medium body, good acidity. Ok finish. Quite similar to the '01 Ogier La Rosine. Went well with the lamb chops. Drink or hold.
- 2001 Domaine du Colombier Crozes-Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (4/3/2006)
Beautiful cherry red, nose a bit stinky, medium body with red fruit, barnyard and good acidity. Quite typical young northern Rhone Syrah. Still young and nice with food. Drink or keep.
- 2000 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Syrah Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes La Rosine - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes (2/12/2006)
Not a lot of difference to the last time, an elegant by no means big wine. Not a lot of northern Rhone funk, medium body, resolved tannins and very pleasent with lamb chops.
- 2001 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Syrah Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes La Rosine - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes (11/21/2005)
No formal tasting note but this was pretty nice. Young and fresh with a pleasent finish. Went well with the lamb. I didn't decant it (left the bottle open for some time). For me, the 2000 is better at the moment. Drink or hold.
- 2000 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Syrah Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes La Rosine - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes (8/15/2005)
After opening earthy on the nose. The funk blew off and revealed nice red fruits. Medium body and good acidity, very satisfying with lamb stew (with olives and aubergines). Resolved tannins but not a lot of secondary aromas. This wine is probably at peak but will hold for some time. Considerable depot in the bottle. Good wine. Update: still nice on the second day.
- 2001 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (2/25/2005)
[i]Blind: I actually guessed northern Rhone Syrah, although I never had a Cote Rotie. Far too young, stinky nose and powerful tannins but behind that one could find beautiful syrah fruit and great structure. My WOTN. Do not touch for many years!
By the way, Happy New Year to all of you!
(Edited to alter title to the searchable "WTN")