Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

New moon / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:25 am

b"sd
In as much as there are many facets of our life on this planet which seem to follow a consistent pattern (e.g. the sun rises and sets) we tend to fall into a mode of complacency. On the other hand should we choose to; often there is much we can learn ,absorb and grow from the observation of our world. Case in hand the waxing and waning of the moon.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

Re: New moon / WeeksEnd wine

by Z Spigelman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Harry.
We are planning for tonight Tulip White Franc 2012 and Carmel Limited Edition 2007 and for tomorrow Ella Valley EverRed Rose 2011 and GHW Gamla HaShmura (Reserve) Nebbiolo 2010.
Shabbat Shalom.
Zvi
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Harry,

Barbaresco 2005 today from Cascina Saria, small producer just outside Neive.

All the best
Birger
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Shavua tov Harry and folks,

Interesting week as I've been made aware of several new or reatively new kosher wineries and had the opportunity to taste some of their wines. The most interesting so far has been the Maresha winery located in Nachal Govrin west of Hevron (but within the so-called "green line"). Obviously Yossie H was aware already of this winery as it is found in his very well-made and helpful map of Israeli wineries. The winery produces 2 wines of which I've tasted one, was a very interesting blend of 50% Syrah and 50% Pinotage aged 12 months in oak casks, the kind of blend I had never encountered before and as far as I know, nobody else makes a similar one here. I didn't take even mental notes as the sitting wasn't very convenient but will hopefully contact the winery this week to have a taste of both wines and learn more about the winery itself. Anyway the blend I tasted was pretty nice, medium-bodied with a red fruit profile and featured some very pleasant, nice acidity .

My wines this shabbat were all winners :D

Friday night:

Carmel, Zarit Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon 2004: I digged this one up from my cellar and was a bit concerned about its drinking status but obviously my fear was proved wrong thank G-d. Aged 15 months in french oak barrels. Dark ruby toward garnet with very thin sediment barely perceptible at the edges, this wines features a beautiful nose of crushed ripe red and black forest fruits with a note of vanilla and oak. Full-bodied with on the palate again sweet but not overripe crushed berries with juicy red plums and red cherries followed by a note of creme de cassis liquor and anise with spicy vanilla, herbs and chocolate covered roasted coffee beans lingering on the long, round and smooth finish along nice, near-sweet tannins gently coating the mouth. This is a beautifully mature wine that seems to have another year or two ahead of it given the still good acid and tannins even at this stage and its continuous evolution over the course of the meal.

Gat Shomron, "24K" Ice Wine-style Viognier 2011: Absolutely delightful as always, this liquid gold is like heaven for the nose and palate. I noticed that the wine has a lot more acid than I had noticed the previous times I tasted it and it should age well for quite a few years.

Shabbat lunch:

Ramot Naftaly, Shiraz 2009: 100% Shiraz aged 12 months in new french and american (50-50) oak casks. Dark garnet toward purple with on the nose classic Shiraz blackberry and raspberry fruit, saddle leather, toasted wood and a note of eucalyptus. Medium to full-bodied and fruit-forward with lots of juicy black and raspberries, smoked meat and fresh tobacco with soft tannins on the long mouth-filling finish. For some reason I was expecting a more extracted wine yet this remains a delicious yet not overly complex Shiraz.

Some more Gat Shomron Ice Wine with dessert.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Harry, shavu'a tov,

2009 Capcanes Peraj Petita. Delicious as ever.
2010 Vignobles David Cotes du Rhone Reserve. A drop rough at the start, but then it smoothed out. Lovely.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Merlot, 2007. I definitely enjoyed this one. And the tannin is still going strong.

Shavua Tov.
no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

by Adam Peters » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Shavuah tov!

Last night I was thinking of a Saslove I had recently picked up in the US, but something steered me towards a bottle of my homemade 2011 Pinot Noir. I should find someone in Ottawa with a more refined palate than mine to give a proper review. It has a nice ruby colour, and is fairly fruity, with a nice amount of acid for a Pinot Noir. I'm down to my last half-dozen bottles. I wish I had made more!

Adam
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:36 am

1995 Rafanelli cabernet unfiltered (Dry Creek). Still holding up very well at 17 years age, 2009 Markham Napa Valley chardonnay, which a guest said went very well with the chicken dish my wife prepared. I was busy with the cabernet but will give the chardonnay a try another day.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am

2007 Yarden Blanc de Blancs - very good
2006 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon - SPOILED!! Very annoying since I've been cellaring it for about 3-4 years.
2007 Segal's unfiltered cab - wow, really nice. not full bodied, but would nonetheless give it a very high score.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:30 am

Greetings from Jerusalem.
My first time here and I'm in awe. Meeting great people and amazing experiences.
2007 segal unfiltered cab,
Adam, I agree it is delicious. We had dinner at Spoons. This is a private dinning experience hosted by chef Hila Solomon, who is a charming person and a wonderful chef.
Yarden Chenin Blanc with desert. Im not a desert wine guy. This was good but I thought it was a bit too syrupy.
I have had many table wines at the bar I don't remember them all
Tsafit assemblage - SO so.
2011( i think) Segal reserve cab. A lot better than previous vintages
2009 Barkan cab - pretty good very inexpensive.
On our way to the golan now and visiting wineries back in the judean hills next week...
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:16 am

Sam M wrote:Yarden Chenin Blanc with desert. Im not a desert wine guy. This was good but I thought it was a bit too syrupy.

Hi Sam,

Yarden Chenin Blanc? Are you sure? I've never heard of that wine. Perhaps you mean Heightswine (ice wine style Gewürztraminer), Noble Sémillon Botrytis (Sauternes style) or Muscat (alcohol fortified)?

Herzog and 1848 have both a Late Harvest Chenin Blanc. Perhaps it was one of these?
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 am

Adam Peters wrote:Shavuah tov!

Last night I was thinking of a Saslove I had recently picked up in the US, but something steered me towards a bottle of my homemade 2011 Pinot Noir. I should find someone in Ottawa with a more refined palate than mine to give a proper review. It has a nice ruby colour, and is fairly fruity, with a nice amount of acid for a Pinot Noir. I'm down to my last half-dozen bottles. I wish I had made more!

Adam

Hi Adam,

WOW! You made yourself a Pinot? Now that's quite a challenge! Even if you have access to quality grapes I assume it's not an easy wine to make but what do I know? I've myself never made even not grape juice... :( I guess you didn't grow the grapes yourself though. I've never actually heard of canadian PN but given the cold climate I believe there might be quite a few out there. How many bottles did you make in total?

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:57 pm

H; vey much enjoyed gilgal syrah 2010. And a gilgal merlot 07 that surprisigly was fine. H
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Fri Night - Landsman Zinfandel. Great drinking.
Shabbat Lunch - Leffe.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Sam M wrote:Yarden Chenin Blanc with desert. Im not a desert wine guy. This was good but I thought it was a bit too syrupy.

Hi Sam,

Yarden Chenin Blanc? Are you sure? I've never heard of that wine. Perhaps you mean Heightswine (ice wine style Gewürztraminer), Noble Sémillon Botrytis (Sauternes style) or Muscat (alcohol fortified)?

Herzog and 1848 have both a Late Harvest Chenin Blanc. Perhaps it was one of these?

Your right it was   Yarden 2006 Botrytis Semillon 
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Had the following:

Four Gates, Cuvee D, Pinot Noir - while enjoyable, definitely the weakest of the Four Gates wines
GHW, Yarden, Odem, Chard, 2010 - really one of the best oaked Chards out there, with control finesse and affordable enjoyability...
Livni, Sde Calev, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 - rich and delicious. The difference to the 2010 is quite noticable
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

by Adam Peters » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Hi Adam,

WOW! You made yourself a Pinot? Now that's quite a challenge! Even if you have access to quality grapes I assume it's not an easy wine to make but what do I know? I've myself never made even not grape juice... :( I guess you didn't grow the grapes yourself though. I've never actually heard of canadian PN but given the cold climate I believe there might be quite a few out there. How many bottles did you make in total?

Best,

GG

Hi Gabriel,

It was my first attempt at making wine. I made about 20L of Pinot Noir and 20L of Cabernet Sauvignon. The grapes were from California, imported by a local winemaking store. Both grapes were extremely low in acid, so I had to add some, but the sugar was adequate. The PN did give me some trouble, but I got some advice from Craig Winchell, and it came out drinkable in the end. The CS is drinkable, but a little tannic, so I might hold off on drinking it for another couple of years.

I have 20L of CS and 20L of Riesling aging in my basement. I was going to bottle before Purim, but I didn't have time to prepare the bottles. We'll see how they turn out.
Last edited by Adam Peters on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 am

Hi Harry,

Drappier Carte Blanche Brut NV - I expected more from a wine touted as representing the "real thing", authentic champagne. The mousse is somewhat aggressive and overpowers the fruit. The fruity notes seem present in stingy amounts, showing themselves as grapefruit. I don't sense anything particularly layered, complex or lively, and it most definitely doesn't create any distance between itself and sparkling wines from other regions. Personally, I would save my money, purchasing at less than half the price either the Yarden Blanc de Blanc or even the Adar Cava instead, unless the occasion requires a wine that is Mevushal. C/**/N

Dalton Petite Syrah 2009 - This is not a Petite Syrah that should scare anyone away. In fact its fruitiness is very inviting. I find it to be on the ripe side, with fruit that is more lush than lively, showing as raspberry compote complimented by date and fig, supported by dusty tannins and cocoa. I shared it with family and friends, who found it very pleasing and enjoyable. B/***/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 pm

2011 Four Gates Zin: full bodied, jammy, spicy, but not too bold or overpowering. Will be interesting to see what this looks like in a few years. I'm a believer in aging good zin.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello all,

I found this forum a few weeks ago and I find myself coming back everyday looking at different posts etc. I must say this this is a great resource for wine (and wine halachic issues apparently...).

I opened the Bravdo Cab 2010 this shabbos. On the bottom of the first pour I noticed that it had sediment, I thought that was strange but it smelled like dark jam and tasted of dark fruits as well. I don't recall ever seeing sediment come through on the first pour as well as a number of pours thereafter but maybe this is normal and it is something that is seen from time to time.
All in all it was delicious in my book (I have no official scoring system yet, its either like or dislike, good or bad, delicious or not for me, not worth it or gimme more dagnabit!).

Thanks,
Moshe
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Welcome Moshe to the party! the 2010 Bravdo cab - is lovely and it can be that it is starting to throw sediment, though that would be early, but such is life and thanks for the information!

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I had a bottle of Herzog P.S. Second Edition 2009 - This wine was awesome, I decanted this wine a couple hours before drinking - full bodied, very soft tannins, tons of fruitiness, blueberries and blackberries jumping out of this wine. I wish I had more of these. I also opened a bottle of California Classic Cellars Syrah/Cabernet 2005 - I was expecting a totally undrinkable wine - it was drinkable but I did not enjoy it - the nose on this wine was screaming black olives, next day switched to green olives. The wine tasted pretty bland with a strange finish that was mildly unpleasant.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 pm

I too had the 2009 Dalton PS and I really liked it, though it is losing its blue touch:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/03/11 ... t-as-blue/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 pm

BS"D

To Celebrate our 6th Year Anniversary I corked a
2009 Hevron Heights Makhpela
and Yumm... Chocolate, Toffee, Coffee, Rich and Brooding yet tame to the Palette and smooth as silk... My wife loved it so I was pleased :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Next