Eighth Day / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Eighth Day / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:02 am

bsd
The broken glass at a time of great joy. The sound of a cry as a baby is born.
Seems like within great joy there is also some pain.
We always need a balance to truly venture higher. Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Eighth Day / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Shavua Tov!

First of all mazal tov to Stacey B on the engagement of her son! :D

Friday night:

GMW, Yiron 2004: This bottle, as opposed to the '05 I opened last night of Pesach, was well-stored for many years and it shows! Not only it was alive, it could even still hold well another year or so! Actually Stacey was the one who conviced me to open it by announcing the good news not long before candle lightning.
Dark garnet and throwing some sediments, this wine features on the nose at this stage crushed forest berries, cigar box and milk chocolate. Full-bodied with on the palate layers upon layers of forest berries, sweet tobacco, licorice, lead pencil, juicy plums and cherries, incredibly bracing acid (blew me away at this age) a little hint of tar and plush chocolate with silky tannins rising on the long, persistent finish as the wine develops in the glass. Great bottle and no regrets for having cellared it until now.

Shabbat lunch:

Gvaot, Gofna, Chardonnay-Gewürztraminer 2010: This odd blend was magnificent. 83% Chardonnay that was aged for 6 months in new oak casks prior to blend it with 17% Gewürztraminer that was fermented and aged exclusively in stainless steel vats. Rogov described it as barely off-dry but it was completely dry for me. Bright gold with a slightly green taint, on the nose bursting butter and toasted brioche along tropical fruits such as guava, mango but baked apple as well. Medium-bodied, perhaps medium to full, the palate offers a wide array of tropical, citrus and stone fruits, including the same as on the nose but also peaches and lemons with bright acid and a delicious buttery creaminess supporting sll that from the first attack towards the long finish, all working well together to feature an harmonious balance between the oak, acidity and fruit. Perhaps the best white wine I've tasted so far from this winery and quite a unique one indeed, a delight. Might age well a few more years.

Gvaot, Herodion, Vineyard Dance 2011: As always, a classic Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot with a respectable 25% Petit Verdot and aged 12 months in oak barrels. Royal purple with on the nose green bell peppers, wet freshly cut off wood, black berries, cassis and cedar. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate cassis and blackberries with still plenty of green notes, black licorice, earthy minerals, graphite, a hint of sweet cedar and spicy vanilla, very good acid but very soft tannins that rise on the moderate finish.Nowhere near the 2010 as to its concentration yet very approachable despite the very prominent green notes at this stage. Reminded me of some good French Bordeaux.

Wishing everyone an excellent week,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:39 pm

2008 Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve --- drinking beautifully.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 am

[Mazal tov Stacey B to you, your husband and son! One thing is certain, many a great bottle will be popped at this most splendid occasion!]

2009 Teperberg Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon - Good quality wine. Fully enjoyed it and it appears to have years left to improve.
Last edited by Adam M on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:08 am

Sunce 2008 cabernet franc (Dry Creek Valley). Nicely fruity the first night, becoming sour the second.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Fri Night - Four Gates PN Cuvee D - interesting wine. On pouring into the glass was almost effervescent, but settled down and ended up being very enjoyable. Saved a third of the bottle for last night and it was much smoother with deep almost woody flavors (not oaky) but nice, if shorter, finish.
Sat Lunch - Back to beer after pesach, a Gouden Carolus Tripel. On the sweeter side for a Tripel, but very good.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi;first time trying peraj petita 2010. Enjoyed it as somewhat of a different tasting wine. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Steven B » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi Harry,

2010 Dalton Alma, Bordeaux Blend. Very Enjoyable.

Shavua Tov
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Sam M » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:50 pm

2009 four gates Chardonnay. Delicious
2009 four gates syrah , very enjoyable
2010 Psagot edom. I always like this wine, though I think the 2009 was more interesting
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Shawn Johnson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Dalton Petite Sirah 2011

Kinneret Muscat Hamburg 2010

Good week to all.
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Danny S » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 am

Fri Night-
Bottle 1: Adir Shiraz, soft & gentle but with a long lasting flavor, great value for £.
Bottle 2: Peraj petita 09, can never go wrong with this wine, good body well rounded and fantastic value.

Lunch.
Single Malt Whisky Aberfeldy 12 years
Danny S
Just got here

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Harry,

Mostly leftovers this week, but I did open one bottle.

Hagafen Zinfandel 2005 - Flavorful, yet not big, this is the kind of red I like for regular drinking. The fruit is brambly and backed up by some tannin. The body is medium, the flavors robust but in now way jammy, and the tannins are present but not aggressive. Although I like it, it lacks the complexity I felt in the '04 vintage I had yesterday, one that had layers of licorice, cocoa and chocolate interacting with the fruit, and one that was more nuanced than the '05. B/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Lots of bad wine this weekend, with some good wine as well:

2009 Yarden 2T: C+/* Oak, overripe fruit, no balance. No fun.

2010 Yarden Chardonnay: C/** Liquid oak. Once again, no fun.

2010 Tulip Mostly Cab Franc: A-/*** Really nice and varietally true. Needs a ton of air. I decanted through Venturi and still took 3 hours or so to really open.

2010 Tzuba Chardonnay: C/** Tastes like flat sprite. Super sweet and citrussy.

Four Gates Cuvee D: B+/** This is a tough wine to rate. It definitely has its flaws: oxidation, heat, and volatile acidity, but it definitely has its charms--particularly if you appreciate mature wine. I personally like it but many won't.

Landsman Zin: A-/** I'm impressed at the unique stylistic character that comes through loud and clear on the Landsman wines. Although Zin couldn't be a more different varietal than Pinot, the wines have a clear familial resemblance. Delightful blue notes and nice fresh, fruity sweetness. Not at all complex but really bright varietal fruit.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

"Two out of three ain't bad"
Galil Mt. Viognier 2011
Odem Mt. Merlot Reserve 2009 (delicious)
Barkan Altitude 720+ Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 (disappointing and harsh on the tongue)
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Adam Peters » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Harry,

I wasn't able to have a non-mevushal wine at the table on shabbos, so I didn't bother. A bit of a shame because I have a teperberg riesling I was thinking of opening.

It was my wife's birthday on Sunday, so we shared a 375ml bottle of Gamla sparkling wine we bought some time ago for just such an occasion. She's pregnant, so she only takes the tiniest of sips, and I'm not keen on finishing off a full bottle of bubbly by myself. The size worked out well. Its an excellent sparkling wine. Advertises 50% PN and 50% chard. It's very fruity and gives the impression of residual sugar, despite there being none.

The Ottawa wine selection, while often having a limited "something for everyone" seems to lack a dry sparkling wine for those occasions that call for one. They used to bring in a Spanish Adar, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Adam
Adam Peters
Wine geek

Postby Andrew B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Adam Peters wrote:Hi Harry,

It was my wife's birthday on Sunday, so we shared a 375ml bottle of Gamla sparkling wine we bought some time ago for just such an occasion. She's pregnant, so she only takes the tiniest of sips, and I'm not keen on finishing off a full bottle of bubbly by myself. The size worked out well. Its an excellent sparkling wine. Advertises 50% PN and 50% chard. It's very fruity and gives the impression of residual sugar, despite there being none.
Adam

Is this a vintage or non vintage blend? Is it shmitta?
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:
Adam Peters wrote:Hi Harry,

Adam

That's the Gamla/Gilgal Brut. Indeed not bad at all. Likely not shmitta, NV.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Adam Peters » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:

Hi Andrew,

It was not vintage, and there was no indication it was shmita or otzar beis din.

Adam
Adam Peters
Wine geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

Hey Adam, I wish you were around when I got stuck in Ottawa for shabos last summer when my flight was cancelled. No one could tell me where to get decent wine, so I ended up getting some crap for kidush and drinking beer instead. :roll:
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Adam Peters » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:Hey Adam, I wish you were around when I got stuck in Ottawa for shabos last summer when my flight was cancelled. No one could tell me where to get decent wine, so I ended up getting some crap for kidush and drinking beer instead. :roll:

Hi Elie,

I was most definitely here last summer. If you ever find yourself stuck in Ottawa please contact me through this forum or through my shul, www.ohevyisroel.ca and you will be welcome for all meals, and, of course, decent wine.

This open invitation goes to all members of this forum who find themselves stuck in Ottawa for shabbos :)

Adam
Adam Peters
Wine geek

Postby Harry J » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm

hi; the weddimg of my daughter tonite stop by if your around.( im not charge of wine so dont know about that) h
Last edited by Harry J on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Adam Peters » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Mazel tov!
Adam Peters
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Harry J wrote:hi; the weddimg of my daughter tonite stop by if your around.( im not charge of wine so dont know about that) h

Mazal Tov Harry! :D
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac C » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I had the Dalton Cabernet Reserve 2009 - really enjoyable, much better than my last bottle.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum