Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Stops Along the Way /WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:00 am

b"sd
Places we go. Far and near.Planned or otherwise. Sometimes it seems like starting from the ride out of the birth canal till the final stop, can be labeled a journey with stops along the way. We can't plan the length of our journies and at times we dont plan the stops.Perhaps we do have input though, in the direction were going and the excitement in working on getting there.
Have a good one; h
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Stops Along the Way /WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Shavua Tov Harry!

Friday night:

I wanted to do some interesting comparative tastings between 2 high quality and unusual blends, the 2010 Latour Netofa and 2010 Shirah Syrah-Mourvèdre, the Netofa being also a blend of these varieties. They could hardly be more different one from the other.

Domaine Netofa, Latour Rouge 2010: The second vintage for the flagship red wine of Miodownick's winery at Mitzpe Netofa in the Lower Galilee. A blend of Syrah and Mourvèdre that spent 13 months in french oak barrels. Very dark garnet towards purple with on the nose blackberries, plums, saddle leather, cigar tobacco, wet dirt and freshly ground pepper. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate blackberries, loamy dirt, black pepper, plums, graphite and more minerals, roasted game meat with a note of oregano, smoked wood and nice supporting acidity and tannins that linger on the long and earthy finish. I can't think of a single israeli wine that resembles this one (aside from its "little brother" Domaine), it has matured nicely since I first had it about a year or so ago and its elements have finally come together. Very old world in style, quite restrain. I'd be really interested to give it another shot in some 3 or 4 years.

Shirah Wine Co., Thompson Vineyard, Syrah/Mourvèdre 2010: A blend of 75% Syrah and 25% Mourvèdre, both sourced from the Thompson Vineyard in Santa Barbara County and aged for 24 months in french oak barrels out of which 1/3rd were new. Dark, very thick garnet in color with a purple hue. On the nose, some tropical and white stone fruit including citrus notes, fresh wild blueberries, cinnamon and ripe blackberries. Full-bodied and layered with the highest (bracing) acidity I've encountered so far in a (bottled) Shirah wine with sweet ripe (but not overripe) red and black fruit with loads of blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and a hint of cherries with warm and sweet spices such as cinnamon and cloves, chocolate, leather and tar with sweet vanilla-flavored tobacco and almost chewy tannins that gently rise and coat the mouth on the very long finish. So different from the Netofa, so new world, so fruit-forward, so good! By far the best Shirah wine I've tasted so far structure-wise. Awesome wine!

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation, Petite Sirah Old Vines 2005: Dead. Drink up. :( Thank G-d I had some leftover from the Netofa.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Very hot weekend in NYC. 2010 Carmel Kayoumi SV, Riesling. Lovely, perfect for the Shabbat.

A good week to all, onset of the "nine days" notwithstanding,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:50 am

b"sd
hi; enjoyed friday night recanati cab 2012.definitely things going on.would be nice to read a TN. By day galil mt viognier 2010. not as fruity as the 2011 .enjoyed too. h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 pm

1995 Louis Martini cabernet. Made by the winery before the family sold it to Gallo. A lot better the second day than the first.
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:38 pm

In honor of our recent trip, California week:

Friday night -- Four Gates 2011 Zinfandel
Saturday -- Shirah 2010 The Coalition
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

2011 Elvi invita . Crisp, lemony, I liked it but not everyone did.
2012 Dalton rose. Very enjoyable ice cold.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Harry,

2010 Weinstock Select Cabernet Sauvignon: This was nice, got an interesting earthiness to it. This wine, their petite sirah and cabernet franc are starting to make me look at Weinstock as a QPR winery, although I have yet to try the zinfandel.

Shavua Tov
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 am

Friday night, awesome 2010 Zin. Lunch- so hot, just a continuation of the Zin, and beer (Sierra NEvada Ruthless Rye and Red Hook Pilsener). With Mishnah Berurah group, a very mediocre bottle of 2010 Cab. The stuff in the winery was tasting so good, the stuff stored in the hallway of my house is tasting so bad, yet stored OK.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:14 am

Fri Night - Four Gates CS 2010 - a real winner from Benyo.
Sat lunch - too hot for wine, shared a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve - amber deliciousness
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Gaston! You had an early release of the CS - nice wine no?

I enjoyed a lovely bottle of Hagafen Cellars Sauvignon Blanc (my last unfortunately) and nice bottle of Dalton Winery| יקב דלתון Shiraz Reserve. The Shiraz was a bit sweet but nice, though with no blue fruit. The Sauvignon Blanc was bracingly acidic and had wonderful tart grapefruit flavors.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/07/08 ... non-blanc/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Jon J

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Ra'anana, Israel

by Jon J » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Carmel Appellation 2008 - Cabernet Sauvignon - Shiraz
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Harry,

Makom Grenache Blanc 2012, Hajdu Wines - Describing this wine is becoming more of a challenge to me, the more I think about it. Elie Poltorak thinks of it in terms of a Riesling; I don't. The wine does have an acidic bite, with flavors of lemon drops, that could lead someone to think of it in those terms. However, the wine also has a soft underbelly, who's flavors are of melons, papaya and guava, and finishes with a tinge of bitterness, so much so that I would not consider this wine as one to sip on its own. If I had to choose a wine that is most reminiscent of it, it would be the Alma White from Dalton. That it's taking awhile to wrap my mind around this wine, adds to its appeal; that it's taking this long for my palate to embrace it, detracts from it. 14% AbV and $25 directly from the winemaker. B-/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Friday night - GHW Gamla Tempranillo 2010 and Galil Yiron 2008.
Shabbat lunch - Midbar Viognier 2010.