Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Two Judges / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Two Judges / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:04 am

B"SD
That which we know in our minds,
That which we know in our hearts;
When they rule in tandem
How powerfull the kingdom.
Have a good one; H
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Two Judges / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov!

Friday night:

Carmel, Appellation, Cabernet Franc 2008: As the previous bottle a few weeks ago it was delightful, a wine that has evolved really nicely and that is now at it's peak, perhaps for another year or so. 13.5% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Tabor, Adama, Viognier 2012: Bright gold in color with some light green reflections, the nose offers aromas of peaches, pineapples, fresh flowers and honey. Medium, perhaps medium to full-bodied with on the palate yellow plums, fresh apricots and peaches, some light herbal notes, a hint of white pepper, fine acidity and a hint of bitterness on the moderately long finish. This wine might be a little past it's prime as the fruit seems to have receded a bit and the (high) alcohol now makes itself a bit felt on the finish. 15.4% Abv.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:32 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

On unanimous recommendation of the forum, 2010 Tabor Adama Merlot. As they say, excellent choice (and, in general, I am not a fan of merlot).

A good week to all,

Isaac
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:18 am

Hi, Gabriel. Looks like you got back home safely.

2007 Baron Herzog Lodi zinfandel. IMO the zinfandel is the best of the Baron Herzog reds. I have even seen it stocked in the Lodi wine visitor's center.

Anyway, it seemed to me that this wine could benefit from some aging, so I put some away a few years ago. In my experience, most zins can age for up to about 6-7 years at most, but few can age longer (Joseph Swan and Ridge zins are an exception). My guess has proven out in this case. The wine, which was a bit rough when young, has smoothened out without falling apart. It still has enough fruit, and the typical zin "brambly" taste, and is still well balanced despite 14.5% alcohol, and has developed some complexity.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:33 am

YoelA wrote:Hi, Gabriel. Looks like you got back home safely.

Indeed Yoel, and it was great to meet you and your lovely wife as well as to taste some wine with you at Hagafen winery!
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

by Gedalya P » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 am

We tasted Ramat Negev (formerly Kadesh Barnea) Merlot 2012. The Merlot grapes are grown near Kadesh Barnea on the Egyptian border and goes through a cold fermentation process. It then ages in oak for 8 months. It has a deep color and soft tannins that I really enjoy.
Lewis Pasco Project #1 is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Petite Sirah grapes grown in the Shomron. It is aged in French oak for 9 months. It has a deep red color, with rich dark fruits and young tannins. It is meant to age and improve, but it is just fine as it is now. It is a somewhat rare bottle, so you should enjoy. He has bottled a 2012 Reserve which will be released before Purim.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Katlav - Wadi Katlav 2007 (CS/M/PV - 50/30/20). Truly sublime and one of the finest wines I've had in some time. Much improved since release. It was my last bottle so I've no way to know it it would have improved even further, but it's hard to imagine. Beautifully balanced fruit with well integrated smooth tannins, and no jamminess despite 14.5% Abv. Time to visit the winery and try the newer releases.

A peaceful and hopefully not to sticky week to all.
no avatar
User

Aaron H

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:20 am

by Aaron H » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Carmel Appellation Cab Franc 2009, delicious!
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi. Ramat naftali prime location;2013 an elegant wine. Barkan malbec definitely not typical. H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:07 pm

They have a wine called "Prime Location?" Local store is featuring their wines but not that one.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi Isaac. Bought in a store in tel aviv GG recommended. About $17; a really nice wine. H
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Yup, it's their new entry-level wine, can be found actually in several wine shops in Jerusalem, haven't tasted it yet.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Riesling Dry 2012 - The fruit is very bright and very expressive, with a blend of citrus and tropical notes. I really like it.

Tzora Judean Hills 2009 - My guest enjoyed it greatly, barely allowing me to get a sip.

Hagafen Prix Zinfandel 2005 - It's Tuesday, and for some reason the wine didn't leave a lasting impression. Other than to state that I've opened the bottle, there is not much that I recall.

Best,
-> Pinchas