Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Eat EnjoyThank / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Eat EnjoyThank / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am

b'sd
It's nice and proper to say please before we are served.But it's also easy; because we want something.
Saying thanks after we received can be much more challenging.
Have a good one; H
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Eat EnjoyThank / WeeksEnd wine

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:47 am

Harry, hi, and appropriate to the parashat, thank you! Thank you for continuing to bring us this weekly conversation.

La Burgondie Crémant du Bourgogne Rosé Brut ($11.99)

A traditional Burgundy blend of 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Gamay, this is a pretty, light salmon color sparkling wine that foams up in the glass with a frothy mousse that quickly falls back to a prickly carbonation without a lot of obvious bubbles. Pleasant red-berry fruit on the nose and palate is backed by a subtle but distinctive hint of cocoa that often appears in Pinot-based sparklers. Crisp, tart acidity builds a firm body, with touches of rising bread and mouth-watering citrus in a long finish. 12% alcohol.

The back label suggests serving it as an aperitif or with pre-dinner nibbles, sushi and sashimi or grilled salmon. It was great with spaghetti tossed in garlic butter with pastured eggs and Grana Padano cheese "scrambled" by being stirred in to the hot, buttery pasta.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Harry,

Another week and another rose; the Tabor Barbera Rose 2016. Though I've had my first bottle of this wine during Passover, I'd wanted to revisit this wine during the summer. This is a rose' with more intensity of color and flavor than you'd find in most. The color is a bright pink, and it bursts with watermelon, strawberry and cherry. It is dry, even if the bright fruitiness will at times play tricks on the tongue. Perhaps, I'd prefer even more tartness or alternatively more acidity to reign it in, but nonetheless, there is sufficient acidity and tartness to keep one engaged. With lunch I went for the Agua Dulce Cabernet Sauvignon 2010. This tastes like a mature, warm-climate cab, with enough tannins to counter the ripeness of fruit and the abundance of chocolate.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:05 pm

hi, finally treated myself to a yarden cab.The 2013. Obviously would have benefitted in waiting but nevertheless very enjoyable. H
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 pm

2006 Bouchard Aine Nuits St. George Les Chabeoufs, the last of our Burgundies as we just about finish drinking down our cellars prior to making aliyah. Better than I had expected, this being a Boisset wine (years ago this label had made respectable Burgundies before Boisset had bought it, among others). Good body, fairly fragrant nose, some spice, some earthiness, very good finish.
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:02 pm

It is easy sometimes to forget to be thankful, so thanks for the reminder.

This past weekend I was thankful for good friends and good wine.

Shabbat dinner featured spicy moussaka with Bar Maor Syrah Rendzina 2013. A marvelous match. I'm sure the wine would have benefited from a few more years in the bottle, but my wife (for whom I am particularly thankful) is quite fond of it so I decided the time was right. Anyway, I've got a couple more.

Shabbat afternoon was wine & cheese in the garden: A dozen or so friends, some excellent cheeses, and:
  • Ein Teina Rosé 2015 - Greanche, Nebiolo, and a touch of Viognier & Sangiovese
  • Backoushe Semillon 2013 - still delightful but opened just in time
  • Cramim Chateau La Valleé White Blend 2016 - Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier (this is the white currently being sold at Ikea for nis 19, and it's actually quite respectable!)
  • Na'aman Viognier 2016
  • Sphera White Concepts Riesling 2016
  • Gush Etzion Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (a perennial favorite of mine)
  • Ein Teina Petit Verdot 2015, with a bit of Syrah - went quite nicely with the Comte cheese

And of course, watermelon and "bulgarit" cheese to top it all off.

Not a bad wine in the bunch, and many happy & thankful people by the time we were done.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 pm

YossiD wrote:
  • Sphera White Concepts Riesling 2016

Hi Yossi,

I noticed you had Doron Rav-Hon's Sphera Reisling, and I'd like to know what you thought of it, and whether it lives up to all the hype.

Thanks,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 pm

and YossiD hows the Naaman viognier?
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

by YossiD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 am

Hello Pinchas,

The Sphera Riesling didn't blow me away. Certainly a quality wine, but not up to my expectations. In the past I have enjoyed other Sphera wines more. On the other hand, I've never been a huge fan of Riesling (I didn't buy this one - it was brought).

Which are your favorite summer whites (should probably be a separate topic)?

Yossi

Pinchas L wrote:
Hi Yossi,

I noticed you had Doron Rav-Hon's Sphera Reisling, and I'd like to know what you thought of it, and whether it lives up to all the hype.

Thanks,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

by YossiD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 am

Hi Harry,

The Naaman Viognier is delightful. Just enough body to be interesting without being too heavy for the heat. Everyone enjoyed it.

Harry J wrote:and YossiD hows the Naaman viognier?