Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Firsts / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Firsts / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:47 pm

bsd
last week we thought of going out this week of coming in
with an awareness and appreciation of new
beginnings.
Have a good one ; H
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: Firsts / WeeksEnd wine

by Pinchas L » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Harry,

This was a weekend spent in Israel, celebrating a cousin's wedding. At the wedding itself there wasn't much wine worthy of a mention. But on Shabbos there was plenty. I began each of the two Shabbos meals with a glass of the Castel "C" 2016, out of a magnum bottle. This Chardonnay offers a rich buttery mouthfeel, distinguishing it from any other Israeli Chardonnay of which I'm aware. The underlying fruit isn't as distinctive, at this stage, as I'd like, and I'm left to wonder if some bottle age will help. With the entree, I had some more Castel, the Grand Vin 2012. This, too, in magnum format. This bordelaise blend is extremely elegant, delivering layered fruit over a bed of tannins and earthy flavors. The wine is very approachable and enjoyable now, and even though it should age for another decade, I don't regret having it at the present.

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi, Harry! The weather turned cool here, so a nice Port seemed to be just the thing. Not the more expensive Vintage Port, though, but Late Bottled Vintage port!

Taylor Fladgate 2011 Late Bottled Vintage Port ($26.99)

Deep purple, with ruby glints against the light. Classic Port scents of black and blue fruit, plums, blackberries and blueberries with a sense of heat on the nose from its fortified 20% alcohol. Full-bodied and sweet on first tasting, black fruit and a whiff of fennel, fresh and clean, fills the mouth with bright acidity, powerful tannins and alcoholic heat. For all of that power, it's nicely rounded and balanced, with blackberry and plum fruit lingering with astringent tannins in a very long finish.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi; this weekend enjoyed the dalton alma 2012.Seems like its three grapes are integrated seamlessly. H