Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: 2005 Yatir Shiraz- Israel, Judean Hills

by Jan Schultink » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 am

• 2005 Yatir Shiraz - Israel, Judean Hills (7/12/2008)
    More a tasting impression than a note. Impenetrable black in color. Lively forest fruits. Harmonious tannins. Smoky oak and a powerful punch of 15% alcohol, leading to a long and satisfying finish. Wonderful. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Jan Schultink on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: TN: 2005 Yatir Shiraz- Israel, Judean Hills

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 am

Very interesting Jan. You mention the powerful punch - did the alcohol stick out, or are you just referring to the overall power of the wine?
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:57 am

Jan Schultink wrote:
    More a tasting impression than a note. Impenetrable black in color. Lively forest fruits. Harmonious tannins. Smoky oak and a powerful punch of 15% alcohol, leading to a long and satisfying finish. Wonderful. (91 pts.)

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the note, looking forward to taste it some day. How would you compare it to the Pelter Shiraz?

Ciao
Birger
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:43 pm

From my post on Rogov's site a few months ago-

Purple rain, purple rain...

I have no idea why this Prince song surfaces in my memory when sipping Yatir, Shiraz, 2005, unless it is the deep garnet-purple colour in the glass, but like the song the wine is destined to become a classic. Rogov's note (below) sums it up in two words that tell you all you need to know- intense elegance. Now in the stores in Israel and apparently released in limited amounts - stock up while you can. A word to the wise, stand and decant if possible before serving, as it contains a very generous load of sediment

Yatir, Shiraz, 2005: Dark, almost impenetrable garnet in color, intentionally aged in old oak barriques to highlight the typical characteristics of the variety, but still showing generous wood, the wine opens with meaty and herbal aromas, which yield nicely to cherry, red currant and berry fruits and finally, creeping in comfortably, an agreeable hint of saddle leather. Long, generous and destined for intense elegance. Approachable now but best 2010-2014. NIS 128. Score 92. K

http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=16824
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Welcome Mike!
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Birger Vejrum wrote:How would you compare it to the Pelter Shiraz?

Hard to say exactly (did not do a side-by-side tasting). From (subjective) memory, I would put the Yatir, Pelter, Clos de Gat "Harel" Shiraz in one group, maybe add the Galil Mountain "Yiron", I all remember them for their "forest fruit". The "Yarden" Shiraz goes in a different group, maybe a bit "sweeter". The Recanati non-reserve is a very pleasant every-day drinker. This is hard to do, probably for an outsider these wines all come across as having a similar style.

For whatever it's worth: my Israeli Shiraz TNs from CellarTracker!:

More a tasting impression than a note. Impenetrable black in color. Lively forest fruits. Harmonious tannins. Smoky oak a powerful punch of 15% alcohol, leading to a long and satisfying finish. Wonderful. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Galil Mountain Winery Shiraz Cabernet - Israel, Galilee (1/12/2008)
    Glazed fruit nose. Straightforward / fruity but good. Creamy black cherry and currant on a mildly chocolaty background, holding out on to a relatively short finish that flares up again after some time with traces of herbs. While this wine is meant for immediate drinking, it is actually relatively dull, thin, and closed just after popping the cork, but getting (much) better over time. (89 pts.)
  • 2005 Recanati Shiraz Kosher - Israel, Galilee (9/2/2007)
    A step down from the previous vintage (or maybe still closed). Dark purple/black. Pleasant fruit / liquorice. Still firm tannins. A moderately long finish. Hopefully it will open up in the near finish. (86 pts.)
  • 2004 Galil Mountain Winery Shiraz Cabernet - Israel, Galilee (8/29/2007)
    A second tasting left a much more positive impression. Black/purple/red. Fresh cassis. Moderate oak. Pine tree/gravel. Fine tannins. A satisfying long after taste with hints of liquorice. The alcohol burn I complained about before seems to have vanished. (89 pts.)
  • 2002 Yatir Cabernet-Merlot-Shiraz Yatir Kosher - Israel, Judean Hills (4/19/2007)
    Showing better now than I remembered it. Although made of a blend of 75% CS, 15% Merlot and 10% Shiraz, this wine still maintains the character of Cabernet Sauvignon. Vibrant red, purple, ink. Fresh fruit (cherry and lots of cassis) with an overlay of mint and eucalyptus and dark chocolate. A hint of creme-cassis sweetness. Full bodied, smooth tannins. A long finish finish. Balanced and elegant. I could have mistaken it for a super Tuscan Cabernet Sauvignon. (91 pts.)
  • 2004 Galil Mountain Winery Shiraz Cabernet - Israel, Galilee (3/11/2007)
    Some "new plastic" on the nose (:-). Immediately after opening you are blown away, like taking a bite of wasabi/standing on a 747 runway: roaring cassis, sweet tannins, a bit of gravel, and the burning sensations of alcoholic heat build up and disappear quickly to leave a muted vanilla finish (contrary to most Galil Mountain wines, there must be some oak here). Later on the wine settles in, ripe cherry, cassis, with a velvet texture and more espresso, pine/anis/mint? notes. More complex, interesting than the "regular" Galil cabernets and merlots. The only thing against this wine is the alcoholic burn that fails to calm down. (89 pts.)
  • 2004 Recanati Shiraz Kosher - Israel, Galilee (2/5/2007)
    Pleasant forest fruit, pine forest (a pleasant, nice muted "sting"), liquorice, spicy toasted oak, all lingering on. Fresh and lively. Yum. Drink now. (89 pts.)
  • 2003 Carmel Shiraz Single Vineyard Kayoumi - Israel, Galilee, Upper Galilee (10/21/2006)
    Very dark purple. Forrest fruit. Roasted oak. Espresso lingering on. A lot more characther than other Carmel premium wines, which have a nice subtle vanilla/oak overlay but lack some spine. (90 pts.)
  • 2003 Recanati Shiraz Kosher - Israel, Galilee (12/6/2005)
    A nice, but not a subtle wine. Smoke, spices. Red fruit. Dark chocolate. Good acidic back bone. (88 pts.)
  • 2003 Pelter Cabernet-Shiraz - Israel (10/23/2005)
    Yet another high-alcohol, up-front fruit Israeli red, but a nice one. I am not bothered by a slight bitter taste on the finish. (88 pts.)
  • 2003 Tabor Shiraz Charsit Kosher - Israel, Galilee (9/6/2005)
    Delicate, with plum, cherry, vanilla, mint (almost an "After Eight" taste). Easy-drinking. (87 pts.)
  • 2002 Sea Horse Camus - Israel, Judean Hills (2/23/2005)
    An interesting Syrah from Israel, the first release by Sea Horse of this variety. Immediately after opening, the nose has very strong meat accents, and on the palate dominates a strong bitterness, almost to the extent that it is unpleasant. After 20 minutes, the wine settles in and becomes more rounded, with stronger red fruit flavors. Not a sticky heavy wine, but fresh and clean. A long pleasant finish with some vanilla accents.This wine has definitely a large number of years ahead of it. (90 pts.)
  • 2003 Segal Marom Galil Adom Kosher - Israel, Galilee, Upper Galilee (1/29/2005)
    A well-made "easy drinking" wine, ideal for weddings and large parties. Soft tannins, red fruit, smooth, and an almost sweet (but short) finish. A crowd pleaser for an attractive price. Drink this year. (85 pts.)
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You mention the powerful punch - did the alcohol stick out, or are you just referring to the overall power of the wine?

Overall power. The whole thing is balanced, but "full treble, full bass"
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Mike_F wrote:From my post on Rogov's site a few months ago-
Now in the stores in Israel and apparently released in limited amounts - stock up while you can.
http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=16824

A couple months ago I was told by a respected wine store in Jerusalem that they never got any stock of this Yatir Shiraz, 2005, because there were no more bottles to be sold [within Israel?] from the winery.

I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparative tasting of this Shiraz with the Bustan Syrah, 2005. I'm thinking of doing something like this…

- E.Y.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Jan, a question. Is syrah in Israel always called by the Aussie name Shiraz, or does this reflect a stylistic choice on the part of the winery? I ask because in California, some wineries have chosen "Shiraz" as a selling point to consumers seeking big extract and overtly rich and sweet fruit.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:15 pm

EY Han wrote:A couple months ago I was told by a respected wine store in Jerusalem that they never got any stock of this Yatir Shiraz, 2005, because there were no more bottles to be sold [within Israel?] from the winery. I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparative tasting of this Shiraz with the Bustan Syrah, 2005. I'm thinking of doing something like this…

I did. Both are excellent, albeit different. If your favourite wine store doesn't have them, check http://www.winedepot.co.il , as of today both are still available in the on-line catalog

Jenise wrote:Jan, a question. Is syrah in Israel always called by the Aussie name Shiraz, or does this reflect a stylistic choice on the part of the winery? I ask because in California, some wineries have chosen "Shiraz" as a selling point to consumers seeking big extract and overtly rich and sweet fruit.

Jenise - The logic (or lack thereof) of Israeli wineries in such matters escapes me*. We have Syrah, we have Shiraz, and in some cases both names from the same winery. The link to style of the wine is there is some cases, nonexistent in others. From an international perspective I believe that nearly all Israeli Syrah/Shiraz is fruit forward, so when buying an Israei 'Syrah', do not expect an austere French style wine. Perhaps Rogov can provide a more detailed response.

best

Mike

*P.S.: The Syrah/Shiraz naming issue in Israel pales in comparison to the question when and how wineries use the terms 'reserve', 'special reserve', etc etc. For example 'selected' is the name of a long-running series from Carmel Wineries that s anything but select...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 pm

(Sorry for continuing this discussion on this side of the board...)

Mike answered all the questions :D

One more store besides Winedepot: the local butcher shop next door to the Ramat Aviv "Lamed" Post Office. Right next to the cooled display of meat, but with some direct sun light as the bottles are stored in the shop window that gets some morning sun :shock: ... In Dutch we say, he who does not take risks, will never win... But better be fast. The bottle that started this topic was purchased here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Jan, no problem continuing this discussion anywhere. But since your post is almost 100% about Israeli wines, perhaps you'd prefer this thread to be in Rogov's Place as you'd have posted it there had Rogov's Place been open. I'll move it for you.

But re the syrah/shiraz thing, few California syrahs called by that name would ever be mistaken for French either--there's just so much more fruit. However, taste one of the blueberry milkshakes called Shiraz and the difference becomes apparent. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:52 am

Jenise wrote:Jan, a question. Is syrah in Israel always called by the Aussie name Shiraz, or does this reflect a stylistic choice on the part of the winery? I ask because in California, some wineries have chosen "Shiraz" as a selling point to consumers seeking big extract and overtly rich and sweet fruit.

I have asked this question of many wineries in Israel and a common answer is that it depends on the origin of the clone. Israel has clones from France (where the wine is often known as Syrah) and clones from Australia (where the subsequent wine is called Shiraz).

But this rule apparently does NOT apply 100%.
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:57 am

Jenise, Hi....

Indeed, Gary hit the nail on the head, most wineries determining their labeling procedure based on whether their vines came from Australian- or Rhone-based clones. In some cases, however, the decision will be made more based on the style of the wine and how the winemaker perceives it.

Best
Rogov
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

by Ehud W » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:15 am

Mike_F wrote:... I believe that nearly all Israeli Syrah/Shiraz is fruit forward, so when buying an Israei 'Syrah', do not expect an austere French style wine.

Mike, you are probably right, except, maybe, the Chateau Golan Syrah, which does have a distinct lean towards the French style.
I'd expect the Israeli Syrah/Shiraz to develop in time, when knowledge and experience is gathered, to a more "Israeli" profile, sort of a unique (I hope) mixture between the bold S. Rhone Syrah and the spicy-fruity Aussie Shiraz.
Ehud