Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Vintages release at the LCBO

no avatar
User

Gaby I

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Vintages release at the LCBO

by Gaby I » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:52 am

Hi guys,
I'm assuming there are some people from Ontario, Canada here... :D

How about we share some thoughts/recommendations re the bi-weekly releases at the LCBO stores?

So let's start with this coming Saturday, July 19th. It seems to have a few good QPR wines.
here are my top picks:
2005 MAS DONÍS BARRICA – $17.95
2005 MÁS QUE VINOS ERCAVIO TEMPRANILLO ROBLE - $15.95
2006 CONO SUR VISIÓN SYRAH - $15.95
2006 GUIGAL CÔTES DU RHÔNE BLANC - $17.95

Gaby
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Vintages release at the LCBO

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 am

Gaby, Hi....

Something like Levy's rye bread - (you don't have to be Jewish to eat it), these wines are available in places other than Ontario. Following are my tasting notes for those of which I have tasted.

Best
Rogov

Capcanes, Mas Donis, Priorat, 2005: A lightly oaked blend of 80% Garnacha and 20% Syrah, this lively garnet colored, light- to medium-bodied, freshly aromatic wine offers up soft tannins and a generous array of plum, berry and cherry fruits, those matched nicely by hints of light earthiness on the finish. Not complex but a very good quaffing wine, possibly at its best when served lightly chilled and a lovely match to paella. Drink now or in the next year or so. Score 86. (Tasted 8 Nov 2006)

Guigal, Cotes du Rhone, Blanc, Rhone, 2006: A blend of Viognier, Rourssane, Marsanne, Clairette, Bourboulenc and Grenache Blanc. If it was anywhere but in the Rhone, I'd call this an unlikely pot-pourri of varieties but what the heck, the blend has worked well for 125 years and there is no reason to sneer at it today. Light golden straw in color, medium-bodied, with fine balancing acidity to set off the summer and citrus fruits, those matched nicely by notes of peach pits that add a nice hint of bitterness. Not one for the ages but lovely now or in the next year or so. Score 88. (Tasted 31 May 2008)

Vino Cono Sur, Syrah, Vision, Maipo Valley, Chile, 2006: Those who know Spanish will smile on seeing the name of this winery – a play on the French "connoisseur" and a double-entendre on the word "cono" which can be translated as one of two sexual vulgarities. Whatever, on first attack you might swear this was a Cabernet with its blackcurrants, blackberries and firm tannins but as the wine opens in the glass it reveals itself as Syrah, the fruits shifting to raspberries and red plums and picking up generous mineral, spicy and toasty notes all leading to a generous and mouth-filling finish. Well done. Drink now-2010. Score 89. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 13 Feb and 22 Apr 2008)