Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

WTN: Yatir Forest 2005 release

by Eli R » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:24 am

Hello,

Well not realy a WTN, but more a report of the event.
I attended the around the table release celebration of the Yatir Forest 2005 held at Derech Hayain (Wine Route) in Raanana.
Thanks to the organizers: Yatir winery, Amos Ravid, the Wine Education Manager of Carmel the parent company of Yatir, and the Raanana Wine Route shop staff.

No doubt, it is an excellent wine, that may top the previous releases that created thebig hype.

We started with the Sauvignon Blanc, continued with the 2005 Yatir blend to let the magnum bottle open up a little.
The wine is well balanced, with soft tannins, although on the nose it needed more time to open up.

On this release day the wine was marked down 10% of the Wine Route list price of 199.99 NIS, and offered at 179.99 NIS, which is closer to the release price of last year than to the winery recommended price of 230 NIS.
At the above price I took a decision to play the game rather than walk away.

Some of the people around the table inquired about purchasing the magnum bottles.
Amos checked with the winery and the magnum will be released only in January 2009,
but they will accept orders through the shops.

Strangely enough the official release to the press will be next week, so your will get more professional reviews.

Cheers,

Eli

P.S. I also walked away with a bottle of Yiron 2005, for half of the above price, expecting the same quality
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

Re: WTN: Yatir Forest 2005 release

by Menach N » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Rogov hi
can you please post your TN on the Yatir Forest 2005 ?
Thank you
-M
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Yatir Forest 2005 release

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Menach, Hi....

My tasting note for the wine in question follows.

Best
Rogov

Yatir, Yatir Forest, 2005: A full-bodied Bordeaux blend of 77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Petit Verdot and 10% Merlot. A third aged in new and two-thirds aged in old wood barriques for 15 months, this deep royal-purple wine casts intense orange and green reflections. Soft tannins integrating beautifully and the intentionally gentle hand with the wood come together nicely to let the wine open with spicy berry and cassis aromas and flavors, those going on to show blackberries and an underlying and fascinating mélange of bitter herbs. Long, generous and destined for elegance. Drink now–2014. Score 93. K
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: this deep royal-purple wine casts intense orange and green reflections.

Hi Daniel-

Can you explain what "orange and green reflections" means?

Thanks VERY much and always eager to learn...
g
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Gary, Hi.....

I remain one of those late 19th century people* who continue to believe that the color of a wine is a far more complex indicator of quality than most today. I always look at the color of a wine at least three times - the first time by tipping the glass so that I can view the wine as seen on a white background; the second time, only slightly tipped so that I can see the color "head on", and the third again generously tipped and moving so that as light passes through the wine it can pass reflections to the white paper below. Not infrequently, I take it as a positive sign when, for example, a dark garnet wine will cast reflections that are orange, green, violet or even violet towards blue or with whites when they cast orange, golden or green reflections.

Best
Rogov

*All of which may give some credence to the rumor to the effect that I was born in 1898. Not true, but my favorite rumor for considering the age that would make me, I surely do look splendid.
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks Rogov. SOOOO interesting. I'm going to have to try it at some point. And if/when I struggle to pick up colors I will have to come visit you and bring one of the wines that you have noted possesses these green, orange, etc reflections.

Thanks again!
g
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/