Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

TNR: K by Saslove 2003 Cab. Sauv.

by Matt Walter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Anyone with TN's for this wine?

Thanks!
Matt
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR: K by Saslove 2003 Cab. Sauv.

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:01 pm

Matt, Hi...

My tasting note for the wine in question follows.

Best
Rogov

Saslove, Cabernet Sauvignon, K by Saslove, 2003: Light to medium-bodied, perhaps a bit thin on the palate, with some berry, currant, and herbal flavors but those somehow never coming together. Showing distinct signs of aging. Drink up. Score 84. K (Re-tasted 17 Aug 2007)
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

by Matt Walter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Thanks!
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm

This is another of those wines that I never really understood the reason for selling it. Not to be a snob - but still, if the wine is poor, why push it? Saslove is such a great producer of wine - I wonder why he would have wanted his name on such a dud! Carmel pushed it, but still. All my friends who drink his wine (a few are religious - but that is for another blog), say the stuff is the bomb. A real shame that his real stuff is not "kosher".

Best wishes
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm

David Raccah wrote: A real shame that his real stuff is not "kosher".

Perhaps a shame for those who seek kosher wines but not for many winemakers who make wine out of the kind of love that demands a hands-on relationship with the winemaking process that might well be impossible if they were to switch to kosher production.

Best
Rogov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Perhaps a shame for those who seek kosher wines but not for many winemakers who make wine out of the kind of love that demands a hands-on relationship with the winemaking process that might well be impossible if they were to switch to kosher production.

Best
Rogov

Could not agree more on that. From what my buddies say - Barry is a very hands on wine maker and really wants to be one-on-one with his wine and must. One day I think he will see the potential value of producing more of the same stuff - which just happens to be kosher. This way he makes the same stuff and is still hands on with his wine - while having a parallel wine run with kosher oversight, but still with his oversight for blends, etc.

Just my 2 cents...
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Worth keeping in mind that a service winery is opening now in Israel, the purpose of that winery being to produce their own wines as well as to serve as a base for those nonkosher wineries who want to produce kosher editions.

A few technical problems to work out with the rabbinut (local rabbinical authorities) however, for as of the moment they are insisting that such wineries cannot use their own name in any way on their labels. That would mean, for example, that Barry Saslove's wines could not carry his name in any manner whatsoever and that in turn would mean having to build up an entirely new brand loyalty. Is a problem!!!! Whether common sense will rule or not (as in so many other things in this little land) remains to be seen.

Best
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

Re: TNR: K by Saslove - kosher cuvee by uncertified winery

by Gary J » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 am

The title of this thread needs to be changed. This is such an important issue. We have talked about kosher vs. non-kosher many times and we have discussed why many wineries in Israel choose NOT to be kosher.

But this new service enabling the winemakers who are not sabbath observant to work at a facility and make a kosher cuvee is GREAT. It is great for the wineries, it is great for kosher consumers, and it is great IF the resulting wine turns out to be a wine on par with the non-certified wines of the winery - there is no reason why it shouldn't.

That the #$%^%$#$%^ rabbinate is not allowing the use of the winery's name is ludicrous. Sure I understand their reasoning, but how many consumer goods are there on the market that LOOK exactly like another such product? Or how many products are made in one country with certification whereas the SAME product is made elsewhere un-certified??!!

People buying wine are adults. At supermarkets that only carry kosher products there is no conflict. At wine shops that carry both kosher & uncertified, kosher consumers have learned to check for the certification.

Truly absurd. Maybe I have not thought it through completely, but (please forgive this emotional statement) this stinks of yet another situation where the rabbinate is simply waiting for their palms to be greased before giving their go-ahead...

Sad... :cry:
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/