Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Michael Greenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Will 2008 be a poor vintage for Ontario?

by Michael Greenberg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Last week HAIL the size of golf balls ruined a lot of the Niagara fruit crops including the grape crops...in addition there has been a deluge of rain through most of June and July affecting the Niagaara and also the Prince Edward country wine frowing regions...Wine growers can only pray for dry sunny weather the rest of the summer to salvage what they can from this mess.. for Ontarians like me who really enjoy many of our local wines this bad weather threat to the 2008 vintage is sad to see..
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

Re: Will 2008 be a poor vintage for Ontario?

by Ehud W » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 am

Any estimation how it might affect the Icewine of Niagara on the Lake production for 2008?
Ehud
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:58 pm

by Norm N » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Michael,
I have been living in Niagara for 2 months now and it has been the weather has been unbelievable - the complete opposite of last year, when it literally hardly rained all summer. I cannot recall a summer with so many heavy thunderstorms, high winds and hail. We had yet another heavy rain this morning. If the weather turns dry and sunny, I think the vintage may still be salvaged, but that it just my thoughts. I'm hoping to drop by a few of the wineries in the next week or two and I'll see what the growers thoughts are and pass them along. But this is a La Nina summer and many thought that it might be wet one in these parts.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:58 pm

by Norm N » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:45 am

Increasingly, 2008 is looking like it may be the worst vintage since 1996 for Niagara. While we had some lovely weather in August, there were also several heavy rainfalls. We then had 6 perfect days in late August/early September, but then more rain this past Saturday, heavy showers on Sunday, then a heavy rainstorm last night. Sunshine for mid week then more rain for Friday through the weekend. Must be very discouraging for the wineries.

Cheers,
Norm