Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

TNR: Bazelet Hagolan winery and Astrid Hasday.

by Birger Vejrum » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:11 pm

In Danish radio Astrid Hasday, working and living in Israel, spoke about the winery. Astrid Hasday also work there.

Astrid Hasday is Danish :wink:

Anyone know this winery, any good?

Thanks for any reply.

Ciao
Birger
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR: Bazelet Hagolan winery and Astrid Hasday.

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Birger, Hi.....

Founded in 1998 by Yo’av Levy and Assaf Kedem on Moshav Kidmat Tsvi in the Golan Heights, the first facility of this winery was located in a cow shed and initial production from that vintage year was 1,800 bottles. Today, entirely under the auspices of Levy, the winery is currently producing about 30,000 bottles annually, half of those from grapes grown in its own vineyards on the Golan Heights. Until 2005 the winery released only Cabernet Sauvignon wines. The winery's first Merlot was released from the 2006 vintage.

The wines are in two series: Reserve and Bazelet Hagolan, the first aged in oak for about 20 months, the second for 8–10 months. Production has been kosher since the 2004 vintage. (By the way, bazelet is volcanic soil, the kind that typifies much of the Golan Heights)

My tasting notes for the last two vintages now on the market follow.

Best
Rogov

Bazelet Hagolan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2006: Dark garnet towards royal-purple, full-bodied and deeply aromatic, with firm tannins in fine balance with wood and fruits. On the nose and palate spicy blackberry, currant and citrus peel, and, on the long finish, a generous hint of espresso coffee. Drink now–2010. Score 86. K

Bazelet Hagolan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2005: Rich, ripe, smooth, generous and well balanced with currant, berry and plum flavors coming together with near-sweet tannins and tempting smoky oak lingering nicely. Drink now–2012. Score 88. K

Bazelet Hagolan, Reserve, Merlot, 2006: Oak-aged, with a generous 15.5% alcohol content. Full-bodied and intense, almost thick on the palate with soft tannins integrating to show appealing black, near-jammy fruits. Finishes sweet and hot. Drink now–2010. Score 85. K

Bazelet Hagolan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006: Medium to full-bodied, with chunky country-style tannins and a hint of sweet cedarwood that runs throughout. Opens to show traditional Cabernet currant and blackberry fruits, those matched by hints of light earthiness and sweet herbs. Drink now. Score 87. K

Bazelet Hagolan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005: Youthful garnet towards royal-purple, medium to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely and showing a pleasing array of currant, blackberry, vanilla and, on the long finish, minerals and a layer of toasty oak. Spoiled somewhat by a rising musky aroma that comes in from mid-palate. Drink now. Score 85. K

Bazelet Hagolan, Merlot, 2006: Youthful royal-purple, medium to full-bodied, with near-sweet tannns and delicately spicy oak highlighting plum and currant fruits. In the background, light toasty bread and smoked meat. A 15% alcohol content gives a fairly hot finish. Drink now. Score 85. K
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:03 pm

When I visited last summer Astrid was there to greet us and grant us samples for tastings. She is very knowledgeable and speaks a wonderful English. That the winery too is excellent goes without saying.
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Yoni M wrote: That the winery too is excellent goes without saying.

I understand that there are those who believe that the quality of the wines from this producer dropped a bit following the departure of co-founder Assaf Kedem. Assaf is now making wines for his own winery, "Assaf winery" and I hear they are quite good.
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Gary,

Truthfully I haven't tasted anything from the winery from the past year, and what I last tried was from the 2004 vintage. My note for that wine (one of the first I ever wrote) follows:

2004 Bazelet Hagolan Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - Israel, Galilee, Golan Heights (8/12/2007)
Somewhat lacking in color, a dark, though translucent purple with ruby around the rim. A very vegetal, though attractive bouquet with a hint of red fruit and and oak. Quite a bit of red fruit on the palate, with generous sweet cherry, strawberry, and very soft, well in integrated tannins. A well balanced effort, with a long, fruity finish. (91 pts.)
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 pm

It is a well written and very professional note Yoni. Keep it up!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 pm

Birger, Hi,

In a wine tour with a group in March 2008, Astrid poured Bazelet 2001 into our glasses.
This wine is still kicking, I picked few more bottles since and enjoyed each one I opened.

Rogov's latest WTN:

Bazelet Hagolan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2001: Dark garnet toward ink-black in color, this full-bodied still firmly tannic wine shows rich Cabernet aromas and flavors of blackcurrants and blackberries, generous spiciness and nice earthy-olive hints, all on a broad background and with a long finish. Drink now. Score 90. (Re-tasted 25 Jan 2006)

Eli
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Daniel, these scores are WELL below previous releases, and in fact, I think I remember scores from you on the 2005 reserves (cab AND merlot) that were quite a bit better than these here.

What gives?

Here you go:
Bazelet Hagolan, Merlot, Reserve, 2006: Full-bodied and intense. Dark, almost inky garnet in color, with still gripping tannins, a generous 15% alcohol content but showing fine balance and structure between spicy and vanilla rich wood and fruits. On first attack red currants and raspberries, those yielding to Oriental spices and wild berries and, on the finish generous hints of bitter-sweet chocolate and espresso. Complex and long but needs time. Best 2009-2014.NIS 140. Score 91. K (Tasted 15 Oct 2005)

Bazelet Hagolan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2005: Full-bodied, with near-sweet tannins and spicy wood integrating nicely. Opens with blackcurrants and wild berries, those opening to reveal generous notes of purple plums, sweetened chewing-tobacco and eucalyptus. Generous and long. Drink now-2012. NIS 140. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 15 Oct 2005)
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:50 am

Thanks to all.

Seems like Astrid is a great personality as well.

Ciao
Birger
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 am

[quote="Menachem S"]Daniel, these scores are WELL below previous releases, and in fact, I think I remember scores from you on the 2005 reserves (cab AND merlot) that were quite a bit better than these here. What gives? [/quote'

Menachem, Hi.....

I have noticed a lowering in quality during my last tastings, possibly part of that due to adjustment to the loss of one partner, possibly due to the switchover to kashrut. Also accounted for possibly by differences developing "between the barrel and the bottle"

As to the Merlot 2006, there must be a typogrpahical or other error somewhere along the way as I could not have possibly tasted the 2006 Merlot Reserve (not even in barrel) in Octobr 2005, almost a full year before the 2006 harvest.

I'll stand comfortably with the current tasting notes. I will of course be visiting the winery again after the 2008 harvest and will be reporting back at that time.

Best
Rogov
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:52 am

Thanks.

I copied and pasted from the old forum, but it did seem strange. I assumed it was the 2005 merlot the whole time . . .

Thant is some drop-off!

Also, the switchover to Kashrus happened the year before, and the 2004 Cab reserve is excellent - I would hope their comfor with the slightly different process would increase, not fall off the table!

Thanks again