Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

TNR - a St.-E satellite with a pretentious name?

by Ryan M » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Hello Folks,

Saw this at the store for a very reasonable price ($15), and it was recommended by one of the sales staff: Chateau Tour de Segur, Lussac-St.-Emilion 2001. I must say I find the name at least pontentially a bit pretentious - La Tour de Segur was the 18th century name of none other than Chateau Latour. Does this estate have any connection to the Segur family? But most importantly is this particular wine any good?

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR - a St.-E satellite with a pretentious name?

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Ryan, Hi……

Tour de Segur is one of the secondary (perhaps tertiary) chateaux of Pierre Lurton and the wine most often appears in French supermarkets and at discount shops where it is a good seller at its price (about 6 Euros today). My tasting note for the 2001 wine follows.

As to pretentions, have no fear, as Tour de Segur was purchased by Alexandre de Segur about three years before he purchased Chateau Latour. Neither, of course, remains in the hands of the de Segur family today.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Tour de Segur, Lussac-St Emiion, 2001: Good for this producer, showing medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely with traditional current, berry and black cherry fruits. Nothing complex here but a pleasant, lightly spicy and moderately-long wine at its best with small cuts of beef, veal or lamb. A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon (60%, 25% and 15% respectively. Drink now-2011. Score 88. (Tasted 13 Apr 2004)