Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Tzuba Winery - A Special Re-Tasting (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:02 am

Not all that long ago, on 17 June, I visited the Tzuba winery and wrote very positively about their wines at http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=17257 . More recently, on 24 July, I attended a press tasting of many of those same wines and then wrote that I found enormous differences in the quality and personality of the wines between the two tastings. I also speculated at that time that these differences might not have been in the wines themselves but in the fact that they had been delivered to the tasting under extremely hot conditions just a short while before the tasting and it might have been this that impacted very negatively on the wines.

At my request, sample bottles arrived in Tel Aviv and those were made part of today's morning and early afternoon tastings, those as always blind. Indeed the wines showed very well today, that supporting my hypothesis about the hot-weather shipping and opening much too soon after the shipping. My tasting notes follow those once again showing that this young winery is most definitely moving in the right directions

Best
Rogov

Tzuba, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tel Tzuba, 2006: Reflecting spices and near-sweet tannins from its 14 months in French oak, a medium- to full-bodied red with good concentration, soft tannins and a gentle wood influence. On the nose and palate starts off with blackcurrants and blackberries, those yielding to a pleasing red berry-cherry character and finally, on the long finish notes of Mediterranean herbs. Drink now-2011. NIS 69. Score 90. K

Tzuba, Sangiovese, 2006: A ruby-red, medium-bodied blend of 85% Sangiovese and 15% Nebbiolo, oak-aged for 14 months, with soft tannins integrating nicely. Generous raspberry and cherry fruits on first attack open to show blueberries and notes of spices. Round, soft easy to drink. Drink now-2010. NIS 49. Score 88. K

Tzuba, Shiraz, Tel Tzuba, 2006: Dark garnet in color, with an appealing country-style, showing medium- to full-bodied, with somewhat chunky tannins, those opening to show dark berry, plum and licorice notes, those supported nicely by hints of pepper and smoky oak. Drink now-2010. Score 88. K

Tzuba, Merlot, Tel Tzuba, 2006: Dark garnet with violet reflections, medium-bodied, with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins. Opens to reveal blackberry, currant and purple plum fruits, those supported nicely by hints of mint, licorice and, on the finish, a hint of bitter-sweet chocolate. Drink now-2010. NIS 69. Score 88. K

Tzuba, Belmont Red, Ma'ayan, 2006: A somewhat unusual blend of 55% Pinot Noir and 45% Merlot, those develoed in new French barriques for 14 months. Medium-bodied, soft and round, opens with a generous red-fruit and flowery nose, goes on to show berries, red cherries, cassis and a hint of currants. Not overly complex but a very good quaffer and a fine accompaniment to food. Drink now-2009. NIS 49. Score 88. K

Tzuba, HaMetzuda, 2005: Showing better than at an advance tasting. A blend of 75% Merlot an 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, oak aged for 24 months. Medium-dark garnet, full-bodied, with near-sweet tannins now integrating nicely to show an appealing array of blackberry, cherry and herbal notes. A gentle spicy wood influence and a hint of licorice on the long finish add to the charms of the wine. Drink now-2010. NIS 95. Score 88. K

Tzuba, Chardonnay, Metzuda, 2007: Wisely oaked for only three and a half months, this medium-bodied, light gold wine shows a light green tint and opens to reveal generous summer and tropical fruits on a background of lively acidity. On the finish an appealing hit of green apples. Drink now-2009. NIS 60. Score 88. K

Tzuba, Belmont White, Ma'ayan, 2007: A light gold, unoaked blend of 55% Sauvignon Blanc and 45% Semillon. Showing appealing pineapple and peach fruits, a fresh, round and lively wine that opens nicely on the palate. Drink now. NIS 49. Score 86. K
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am

Sacramento/Davis, CA

Re: WTN: Tzuba Winery - A Special Re-Tasting (K)

by Ilan T » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi Rogov,

Sounds like Tzuba shows promise to be another quality winery on the scene. Two questions about the wines. Is pricing available for the wines listed in your TNs and do we know if they are coming to America? Thanks.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Tzuba Winery - A Special Re-Tasting (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Ilan, Hi.....

I have now inserted the prices in the tasting notes above (other than for the Shiraz, for which I do not have a price)

As to export - the winery is currently examining possibilities. No final decisions reached but if/as I learn more, I shall post here.

Best
Rogov