Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug3-9, 2008)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug3-9, 2008)

Postby Michael Greenberg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:15 pm

BLACK ROCK RED 2006,wo Swartland,South Africa (the Winery of Good hope)
... rated 4.5 of 5 stars in John platter South African Wines 2008

A Southern Rhone style blend--Shiraz led (66%) with 13% Carignan,11% Mourvedre,9% Grenache,and1% Viognier...flavours and aromas of violets,dried herbs,campfire smoke and crushed blueberries...smooth tannins on the palate but with a wider kick on the finish,,
THe reviewer for John Platter called it "pure hedonism" --I do not know if I would rave aboout it that much --but it was quite a good blend and at a resonable price ($23.95 cdn).

LAILEY RIESLING 2007,VQA Niagara River,Ontario

Michael Pinkus (http://www.ontariowinereview.com Apr 12,2008) raved about this wine calling it "truly outstanding...everything you drink a Riesling for and more"....I concurr that it is simply delicious ...lovely nose and palate pleaser...if there is anything to criticize--well it does not have pretty colour--in fact it looks like water with a slight hint of burished stainless steel...and it is a bit light in body weight..but otherwise it is great....On the nose you smell anise& fennel that seems to float in and among the floral and peach and hints of orange...then on the palate you get flavour bursts of apples and zings of lime then coatings of sweet peach --and then it finishes with crisp clean acidity that gets you salivating for another
sip...Lailey is considered one of Niagara's finest vineyards (it hs 8 hectares south of Niagara-On -The -Lake right along the Niagara River) and is known for crafting small lots of prime quality wines with labour intensive hand picking and rigourous avoidance of undripe grapes..
This is the first wine I have ever tastes from this winery and it is terrific... I look forward to tasting 2 reds (a 2005 Cab Sauv)and a 2006 Pinot Noir ) from this winery that I bought in the same release at Vintages this August..
Michael Greenberg
Ultra geek

Re: Wines we enjoyed last week (Aug3-9, 2008)

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Last night & tonight a somewhat risky '86

1986 Castello di Volpaia Balifico Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (8/9/2008)
Claret-red but certainly showing a decent degree of browning. The nose is somewhat high-toned with some oak-smokiness and subtle amount of bottle stink. The fruit is subdued.

On the palate it's relatively light and certainly mouth-wateringly juicy with nice balance. The finish is reasonable, but not long and the oak is surprisingly more prominent than on the nose. I suspect it must have tasted very woody in it's youth.

Barring the overoaking (which I'm not all that fussed about), this is really quite a pleasant understated wine, that would be a very flexible match to food.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum