Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

2004 GHW El Rom

User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

2004 GHW El Rom

by Menachem S » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 am

Does anyone know the suggested retail price of this wine from the winery?

Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: 2004 GHW El Rom

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Menachem, Hi

The suggested retail release price for the wine is NIS 175 per bottle.

Best
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:35 pm

As I'm sure you have seen from the Ortal pricing I imagine that the El Rom pricing will vary at retailers in the US. I gather there is a online retailer advertising the Ortal at $45/bottle, while others are selling it in stores at $55-60 (and higher).

I think the El Rom should settle in at about $50-60 though, just like the Ortals...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:29 pm

I hate the fact that it seems as though the Israeli retailers are already starting above the suggested price.

Sometimes we can't blame the winery
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:26 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Menachem, Hi

The suggested retail release price for the wine is NIS 175 per bottle.

Best
Rogov

Hi,

The wine should be in the shops in Israel in a few days. I have heard already a list price of 179 from more than one shop (with the regular discounts to members though).

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Leaving Israel aside for a moment or two......

Antinori's 1999 Tignanello sells for anywhere from US$72.50 to $US 110 in New York CIty alone. The reason why a bit of comparative shopping is always in order when it comes to fine wines, especially those in high demand.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Menachem S wrote:I hate the fact that it seems as though the Israeli retailers are already starting above the suggested price.

Sometimes we can't blame the winery

Considering what some folks were willing to pay for last year's El Rom (remember the hysteria?), the markups don't surprise me. I will say, though, that the Ortals were sold at the suggested price, if not with a small discount.
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Menachem S wrote:Sometimes we can't blame the winery

No, the "blame" rests entirely with those who are willing to pay the mark-ups... . One hopes the wineries are getting some fraction of increased profits, and that it does not all end up in the hands of the dealers. As long as market hype of the type seen lately on this forum continues (e.g. threads with 'alerts' of release dates, as if the wines are precious collectibles and the forum readers are racing each other for the trophies) prices will continue to climb. If and when the Israeli yuppies and American kashrut observant consumers calm down, the market may return to reality. Meanwhile, these consumers are feeding a price bubble, which is not good for long term development and exposure of Israeli wines to the international market (I can't imagine many of the more worldly members of the wider WLDG forum will be willing to purchase top Israeli wines at current prices - why on earth should they?).
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Mike, Hi.....

Not speaking to wines in general but to this one in particular - and why not? Borrowing a bit of linguistic jingo from Gary Vaynerchuck: "At fifty bones for a wine that scores 94 points and that shoves a lot of California and Bordeaux into the closet, a deal you shouldn't miss"

Best
Rogov

Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon, Elrom Vineyard, 2004: Full-bodied, with still firm tannins and spicy wood well on the way to integrating and al-ready showing elegance and finesse. Look for layer after layer of currant, blackberry and wild berry fruits, those supported beautifully by notes of cedar, sage and tar, all leading to a near-sweet fruity finish that lingers on and on. Approachable now but best 2010–2016. Score 94. K
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi,

The mailing to GHW customers went out today. The winery is offering each member 3 bottles of 2004 GHW El Rom at a 10% discount.
no avatar
User

Stephen W

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am

by Stephen W » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 am

The 2004 El Rom is already on the shelves in Raanana.