Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

Monteriggioni in Tuscany, anyone been there?

by Birger Vejrum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 am

Going to Monteriggioni in Tuscany to September, anyone been there? Looks great on the website.

Lunch at Ristorante Il Pozzo http://www.ilpozzo.net

Daniel, please notice that it is outside Piemonte :wink:

Thanks for any reply.

Ciao
Birger
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Monteriggioni in Tuscany, anyone been there?

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:47 am

Birger Vejrum wrote:Daniel, please notice that it is outside Piemonte

Birger, Hi...

I noticed and am grinning broadly!

The last time and only time I visited Monteriggioni was in the mid 1970's and then entirely as a tourist. We were en route from Sienna and stopped because the walled village as seen from a distance seemed charming. We were not disappointed and in the end found a small inn at which to stay for three days, leaving our car outside the city walls and enjoying walks in both the town and the countryside. I recall some simple but charming trattorias and cafes but lord only knows if those are still there. As to the village itself, considering that Dante mentions it in the Divine Comedy, I doubt that it has changed much.

Enjoy your stay.

Best
Rogov
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Birger,

I have been there often, for some impressions from previous visits see the old forum - http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=1727 . Some of the information on that thread may be outdated, but you can get a list of enotece that you might want to pass by...

Another restaurant that has been highly recommended, but I have not yet eaten there personally- Ristorante Casalta - in the tiny village of Strove, near Monteriggioni, Michelin guide recommended. Tel. 0577 301171

enjoy,

Mike

P.S.: If you look around on the old forum you will also find my recommendation from 2003 for a restaurant in Monteriggioni called Il Piccolo Castello. This used to be very good, but more recently we have been disappointed there, they seem to have mutated to a tourist trap. Hopefully Il Pozzo will be better.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Birger Vejrum wrote:Daniel, please notice that it is outside Piemonte

Birger, Hi...

I noticed and am grinning broadly!

The last time and only time I visited Monteriggioni was in the mid 1970's and then entirely as a tourist. We were en route from Sienna and stopped because the walled village as seen from a distance seemed charming. We were not disappointed and in the end found a small inn at which to stay for three days, leaving our car outside the city walls and enjoying walks in both the town and the countryside. I recall some simple but charming trattorias and cafes but lord only knows if those are still there. As to the village itself, considering that Dante mentions it in the Divine Comedy, I doubt that it has changed much.

Enjoy your stay.

Best
Rogov

Hi Daniel,

So am I :mrgreen:

Francesca of Ristorante Il Pozzo has been a great help as well, almost like a tourist guide. Already book a table for my wife and I at her restaurant, looking forward to it. She is very famous for her chokolate cake :D my wife loves this.

On a Danish website it is said that you can walk though the "city" within 3 minutes.

We will have lunch there going to our house in Montepulciano, stayed there 5 times already http://www.cretedisiena.com/poggiopietrose/index.htm great place.

Grazie.

Ciao
Birger
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:41 am

Birger, Hi....

One could probably walk the city in only three minutes but not if you wander into all of the side streets, sampling a pastry here, a coffee there, a glass of wine somewhere else, sitting on a bench to enjoy the air, talking with the locals, and enjoying life. Personally, I could comfortably spend two-three days exploring this tiny and charming village. But then again, I'm a freak for small, walled, Italian villages.

Oh yes...and if you're truly lucky you may even get invited to join in a game of bocce. Be careful though... loser buys the drinks.

Best
Rogov
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:45 am

Mike_F wrote:Hi Birger,

I have been there often, for some impressions from previous visits see the old forum - http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=1727 . Some of the information on that thread may be outdated, but you can get a list of enotece that you might want to pass by...

Another restaurant that has been highly recommended, but I have not yet eaten there personally- Ristorante Casalta - in the tiny village of Strove, near Monteriggioni, Michelin guide recommended. Tel. 0577 301171

enjoy,

Mike

P.S.: If you look around on the old forum you will also find my recommendation from 2003 for a restaurant in Monteriggioni called Il Piccolo Castello. This used to be very good, but more recently we have been disappointed there, they seem to have mutated to a tourist trap. Hopefully Il Pozzo will be better.

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot, very usefull.

We already book a table for Il Pozzo, and will visit the local producer as well.

We are on our way from Piemonte to "our house" in Montepulciano, and will visit Monteriggioni for lunch. Then off to Siro Pacenti in Montalcino :roll: and a local cheese producer and then "peace on earth" in our house.

Thanks Mike.

Ciao
Birger
Last edited by Birger Vejrum on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Oh yes...and if you're truly lucky you may even get invited to join in a game of bocce. Be careful though... loser buys the drinks.

Best
Rogov

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like a "city" I would love :wink:

Karin will play the bocce, I hate loosing :wink:

Funy one, can´t remember if I have told it before. During our stay in Montepulciano, in 1996, we visited Fattoria Pulcino in Montepulciano. The owner is/was a great soccer fan and when I told him I was from Denmark, I was invited to his office. He had a poster of Juventus where Michael Laudrup played. The same evening Denmark played vs Portugal during EM in England and Brian Laudrup made a goal :shock: next day he was standing in the street shouting "Danimarca e Laudrup" when he saw me. We was invited to his private celler and had to walk 4 km. home to our house with my dog :roll: due to way to much wine. But very funny.

Ciao
Birger