Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

WTN: Prosecco, Cairrane, Spatburgunder, Muscadet

by Ryan M » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:41 pm

With friends and food this past weekend. I'll let the notes speak for themselves. But I will say that based on my experiences with Cairrane, I think it's distinctiveness and character stand comfortably on the level of Gigondas and Vacqueyras, and I'd like to see it get it's own AC. Rogov, I'd be interested to see your note for the Cairrane, if you would please.

With crostini:
Canella, Prosecco di Conegliano NV
Almost tart but very nice citrus upfront, followed by hints of melon, then generous, sweet dandelion, and that nicely offset by a finish of nuts. Very tasty wine, good finish - love it. Possibly the best Prosecco I've had. Drink now. Excellent / Exceptional (89 - 91) [8/16/08]

While cooking, and munching on cheese and crostini, but mostly on it's own:
Dom. de L'Oratoire St. Martin, Reserve des Seigneurs, Carraine - Cotes-du-Rhone-Villages 2004
Good, deep color (approaching black). Very nice nose. When first openned, austere fruit, and a raw alcohol character; but openning to reveal firm black cherry upfront, with rich blackberry, and 'overtones' of black raspberry providing nice lift; then toward the finish, what I think of as Cairrane's distinctive mark - burly, firm cassis with stone/minerals, and spicy herbs. A very big, but not overwhelming wine, and a nice drink. Great wine, although not quite as good as the 2003. Depending on your preferrences, could use another 3 - 5 years for the fruit to open and moderate the alcohol, and should probably last for, say, 6 - 8 years from now. Excellent / Exceptional (89 - 91) [8/16/08]

With Chicken Tandori and Chicken/Lamb Tikki Masala:
Julias Wasen & Sohne, Weingut Rodensteiner Hof, Spatburgunder Classic, Rheinhessen (QbA) 2006
My first taste of a German Spatburgunder. Semi-dry, which I didn't expect. A character of strawberry and cranberry, backed up by some darker berry fruits. Soft and attractive, and definitely tastes like Pinot Noir. I dare say it would be better fully dry (or at least closer to it), but a very good and well-made wine. A 'drink now' sort of wine, but should last another 2 - 3 years. Very Good / Excellent (86 - 88) [8/16/08]

With grilled pork loin and melon salsa:
Ch. de la Fessardiere, Muscadet 2006
Actually the first basic Muscadet AC wine I've had, and better than I expected. A sort of nice, lemon/lime citrus upfront, followed by apple, honeydew, perhaps a touch of tropical fruits (kiwi?), with that pleasant cabagey note Muscadet is said to have, and toward the finish, suprisingly a touch of mace. You could even say that it has just a touch of honeyed overtone as well. A well made and quite pleasant wine. I would say drink now, but I've heard that Muscadet can age, so who knows. Very Good / Excellent (86 - 88) [8/17/09]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

TN:Domaine de l'Oratoire St.-Martin, Cotes du Rhone Villages

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:38 am

Ryan, Hi....

Following is my tasting note for the wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Domaine de l'Oratoire St.-Martin, Cotes du Rhone Villages Cairanne, Reserve des Seigneurs, Rhone, 2004: Dark, almost impenetrable garnet in color, full-bodied and with chunky but gentle tannins giving the wine a distinct country-style personality. Opens slowly in the glass to reveal generous cassis, black and red cherries, blackberries and currants, those with overlays of minerals and spices and, on the long finish a generous hint of sweet herbs. Generous and appealing but faulted somewhat by a marked note of alcoholic heat that rises on the finish. Drink now-2010. Score 88. (Tasted 26 Jun 2006)
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

Re: WTN: Prosecco, Cairrane, Spatburgunder, Muscadet

by Ryan M » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks Rogov! Well, that's quite a disagreement on the drinking window - but I can see how the high alcohol could make it seem (to me) more sturdy than it actually is.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Prosecco, Cairrane, Spatburgunder, Muscadet

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Ryan, Hi.....

As memory serves, I felt that the wine's "heat" gave it an imbalance that would not encourage fine development in the bottle. Remember the 11th Commandment: A wine that is out of balance in its youth will never become balanced as it ages". *

Best
Rogov

*The trick of course when tasting young wines (e.g. early releases, barrel tastings) is to determine when the wine is out of balance and when the elements simply have yet to come together.