Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

TNR: Hagaon Malbec and Efrat CS 2007

by Matt Walter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Daniel!

Any tasting notes on these wines? I can't remember the Malbec's vintage for certain, but I think that it may have been 2003.

The Efrat CS 2007 was pretty good I thought and will be better with some cellaring.

Also, is Efrat marketed in the US under another name?

Thanks!
Matt
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Hagaon Malbec and Efrat CS 2007

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:22 am

Matt, Hi.....

I have not heard of a winery called "Hagaon". It would be appreciated if you could clarify a bit on this by providing other information as it appears on the

As to the Efrat - indeed two years ago now the winery changed its name to Teperberg (the founding and still controlling family of the winery) but the Efrat label is still used to mark some wines in lower-level series. It may well be that the wine about which you inquire is the following:

Teperberg, Cabernet Sauvignon, Silver/Efrat, 2007: Garnet towards royal-purple, medium to full-bodied, with silky tannins and a generous sense of spiciness. An appealing melange of black and red fruits along with light notes of tobacco and chocolate. Drink from release. Score 86. K

Best
Rogov
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR: Hagaon Malbec and Efrat CS 2007

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:37 am

Mmmmm.... Just back from Friday shopping and in one of the markets at which we buy I saw a bottle of
"Efrat, Cabernest Sauvignon, 2007".... Not the same wine as posted above but not yet tasted...

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

by Matt Walter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks Daniel!

I will look forward to your TN's on the Efrat in the future. Was it fairly inexpensive in Israel?

As to the Malbec, this was a kosher Argentinian wine. I had it (and the Efrat) at my in-law's in South America. I'm afraid I don't remember anything else from the label.

Matt
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Matt, Hi.....

Following is my tasting note for the Efrat wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Teperberg, Cabernet Sauvignon, Efrat, 2007: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium-bodied, with chunky, country-style tannins. Opens to reveal appealing black fruits and hints of spices. An appealing and smooth entry-level wine. Drink now. Score 83. K (Tasted 25 Aug 2008)