Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Sips

User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Sips

by Florida Jim » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Over the past couple weeks I have been out of touch – its not often I am away from a computer and the internet. Not as bad as I’d have thought.
‘Drove 2,000 miles, helped my Mom celebrate her 84th, battened down the hatches for the arrival of Fay but she skirted our Florida home, spent time with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter as well as my brother.
‘Partied a little, laughed a lot.
And had a few wines; brief impressions follow:

1991 Sullivan, Cabernet Sauvignon:
Ah, for the days when wine was 13.1% alcohol and tasted like its variety; this is quite nice – clean, correct, mellowed by time and has lots of life – all those harsh tannins have melted away. A good wine; not great, but then, good is often good enough.

1998 Vieux Telegraph:
Finally showing some signs of life after a pretty extended slumber. Salted meat is the lasting impression; some red plum and lavender; well structured. Many days ahead; there were times when I wondered.

2005 Alesia, Syrah Fairview Ranch:
Like flash grilled London broil; meaty, juicy, chewy – and that’s what I had it with; delicious.

2006 Paolo Bea, Santa Chiaro:
A blended white wine fermented on the skins and left in stainless without regard for temperature; brilliant stuff with bright flavors, a tannic texture and remarkable complexity. Trying to dissect or describe these aromas and flavors is futile; smelling and tasting them, captivating.

2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Pierre de la Grange:
Bright, nuanced wine with more depth than expected and crystalline acidity. Remarkably delicious and all the more so for its $8 price.

1999 Juge, Cornas SC:
Showing more linear this time than the last and could do with a few more years in the cellar; still, roasted meat, garrigue smells accenting cooked fruit aromas; weightless in the mouth but intense with flavors similar to the nose and decent length. Feminine Cornas.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars