Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Golan Heights Winery-25 Years (11-20 Sep)

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 pm

As part of the celebrations of the 25th Anniversary of their founding, the Golan Heights Winery will be holding an open-house/open-bar at the Tel Aviv Port from 11 – 20 September. In addition to offering broad tastings of wines currently on the market, the winery will also be opening bottles from their library, many of which are no longer available and some considered quite rare. Also to be included will be small-group workshops on vertical tastings, horizontal tastings, and blind tastings. Wines will be poured at a symbolic fee and many of the workshops will also carry a small charge.

Precise details on hours for various tastings and workshops will published in various newspapers. More than that, the moment I have those details, they will be posted here as well.

Hours of opening for the events:

Opening Events: Thursday 11 Sep, 20:00-23:00
Sun-Thurs 18:00-23:00
Friday 12:00-17:00
Saturday Evening 20:00-23:00

As a general editorial/critical comment and prediction on my part: Knowing the winery and other events they have organized in the past (e.g. Golan Vintage), this event too will be in good taste and will offer a good opportunity to do some broad tasting, to meet the people of the winery and in general, to have some pleasant and civilized wine-related fun. As used to be said on the old days of radio (and Woody Allen will vouch for me on this) "stay tuned for further details"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Golan Heights Winery Celebrates 25th Anniversary (11-20 Sep)

by Eli R » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi,

The winery will issue a special mailing to its customer club members regarding this event and the special tasting scheduled.
Eli
User

Billy M

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 am

by Billy M » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 am

Eli R wrote:Hi,
The winery will issue a special mailing to its customer club members regarding this event and the special tasting scheduled.
Eli

A while back, I don't remember if it was on this or the previous Forum, there was a discussion as to whether non-Israeli (i.e., U.S.) customers could sign up for the GHW customer club. Was there ever a determination on that?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 am

Billy, Hi.....

One can become a member from anyplace in the world. To do that, send off an email to MIci Shaney at mici_s@golanwines.co.il

As a member you will receive all notifications of activities and futures sales. You will be able to order wines but those wines cannot be shipped outside of Israel. What some have done is to make arrangements with friends/family in Israel to have wines shipped to them and then either to pick them up during visits to Israel or have the wines shipped by those who receive them.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Rogov:
One can become a member from anyplace in the world. To do that, send off an email to MIci Shaney

Well...

I did ask Mici this question. Her answer (posted on the old forum) was:
Everyone is welcome - but GHW will send its e-mail only in Hebrew and mail its magazine only to local addresses, and deliver wine only in Israel
(as I did get my quota of 3 bottles of Elrom 2004 delivered yesterday and the special 25 anniversary magazine "Bazir Tov" delivered by mail today).

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:59 pm

More complete information on the Golan Heights Winery event is now available, that including the symbolic fees charged for the various tastings, the hours of those tastings and details for registering in advance. See the post on the winery's internet site at http://www.campaigns.co.il/online/bar-wine/ . Alas, only in Hebrew. If anyone is truly desperate for a translation (only the truly desperate should apply), please let me know here and I'll work on that somewhat.

Several people have asked if the choice of the Tel Aviv Port was a wise one for such an event. True indeed that at least several of the previous wine events held at the port turned into major catastrophes – three of which I can only categorize as quasi-drunken orgies with the smell or urine and vomit making life most difficult and another that was quashed when it was realized that non-kosher wineries could not take part at a particular venue and the fair reduced by two-thirds.

Truth is though that I have no fear whatever for the Golan event, and that for several reasons. First, although admission to the event is free, the various tastings of wines (vertical, longitudinal, comparisons between single vineyard and regular editions within the Yarden series, advance tastings and tastings of various series of wines all carry a symbolic fee, that discouraging the free-loaders who come for an evening of rabble rousing and drunkenness. No less important, to date every event, large and small, sponsored by the winery has been a quietly cultured, civil and civilized event. In addition to knowing their wine, there are those at the winery who are quite good at what one might think of as "crowd control".

It is my personal good fortune that the Tel Aviv port is a comfortable stroll from my residence. I intend to be there on several evenings of the event.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Golan Heights Winery-25 Years (11-20 Sep) Updated 6 Sept

by Eli R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Daniel, Hi,

Some more useful information:

The customer club "Bazir Tov" - issued a mailing offering its member to register in advance to one of the three tasting workshops based around 3 different themes:

- Wines from the cellar - including Yarden CS form the 90s

- The history of the winery - though different wines - including the Elrom and Kazrin

- International grage varieties

Advance registration to one of the workshop can be done by calling Mici Shani.
Early registration is recommended as there are only 8 sessions - with limited around the table seats at each session.

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Golan Heights Winery-25 Years (11-20 Sep) Updated 6 Sept

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Today (Thursday, 11 Sep) marked the opening of the Golan Heights event at Tel Aviv Port. I arrived at about 7:30 p.m., was chided in friendly fashion for breaking my habit of nearly always being the first at every event, and then proceeded to wander in. Started off with two glasses of Gamla Brut, continued with samplings of several Chardonnay wines (Yarden, Katzrin), and then on to several Yarden Cabernets.

Friendly group, not overly croweded during the hour or more that I was there, good to see several forum members, quite a few of my readers from HaAretz and to greet a good many of the winery staff. In a phrase - "most pleasant". I'll return again next week once or twice just for the fun of it.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Golan Heights Winery-25 Years (11-20 Sep) Updated 11 Sept

by Eli R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi,

I visited this event earlier this evening. Apart from parking issues, it was very pleasant. The evening was not as hot, allowing outdoor wine drinking to be acceptable.
I joined one of the workshops and did a flight of Yarden CS: 2005, 2001 (Magnum), and 1999 - very nice indeed. Earlier in the evening they had the CS from 1995 and 1997. I Plan to go again Monday.

One more point: among others, the single vineyard wines are sold there at very reasonable prices: 2004 CS Elrom (150 NIS) and the two Ortal - Syrah and Merlot (125 NIS each) - 6 bottles limit per customer.

Eli
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Golan Heights Winery-25 Years (11-20 Sep) Updated 11 Sept

by EY Han » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Eli R wrote:The evening was not as hot, allowing outdoor wine drinking to be acceptable.
I joined one of the workshops and did a flight of Yarden CS: 2005, 2001 (Magnum), and 1999 - very nice indeed… I Plan to go again Monday.
One more point: among others, the single vineyard wines are sold there at very reasonable prices: 2004 CS Elrom (150 NIS) and the two Ortal - Syrah and Merlot (125 NIS each) - 6 bottles limit per customer.
Eli

Hi Eli,

I got there late tonight. I also did a flight of the Yarden CS, 2005; 2001 (Magnum); and 2000 and 1999 (I thought that latter was showing some green notes). I also did the comparative tasting between the regular Yarden Merlot, 2004 and the Ortal Single Vineyard, 2004 (first tasting; it opened up very nicely to "caramelic" overtones after a while).

The first thing I noticed upon entering was that there were stickers over the original prices of all three wines for sale that you mentioned - now they are respectively 160 NIS and 125 NIS each.

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

Re: Golan Heights Winery-25 Years (11-20 Sep)

by Z Spigelman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am

We attended twice this week - on Sunday evening and last night. Each time we participated in one of the workshops, which were excellently presented by Debbie, Oded and Reuven. Last night we were even treated to a glass of the 2001 Blanc de Blancs at the opening of the workshop, a Mazal-Tov toast to the GHW on their 25th. On Sunday we did the comparative tasting of the Merlots and then the Syrahs. Last night we twice visited the Keter B'Yahalom bar and tasted the 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001 (magnum), 2003 (magnum) and 2005 CS. Both nights we were served by Yaniv - thanks for the great job, explanations, etc. Along with the 2004 Elrom from the workshop, it was a great CS night. Finally, special thanks to Mici for handling the workshop reservations and our Elrom order. Overall, another great job and presentation by the GHW staff. The Jacobs cheese from Kfar HaRoeh was also very tasty. We highly recommend dropping in tonight or after Shabbat - the atmosphere was great and the people very friendly.

Rachel & Zvi
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:18 am

I really want to go either tonight, tomorrow, or Saturday night, but I won't know until the last minute. Is it absolutely necessary to sign up beforehand?
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:36 am

Hi Yoni.
To the best of my knowledge, the schedule was changed and the event will not be open on Friday - recommend checking with GHW. It pays to register in advance for the workshops as they were full on Sun. & Wed.
Enjoy.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:26 pm

The first thing I noticed upon entering was that there were stickers over the original prices

I was there too on Monday and noticed the change in price> I was told it was a misrake in the first place and I agree as the Elron was marked less than the bottles I purchases from the winery. Anyway, as much as Debbi Shohan wanted to leave the historical workshop in the good hands of Eran, he cliamed to have a stage fear and handed it over to her.

Eli