Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Bustan wines

User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

Bustan wines

by Menach N » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Rogov and Forum, Hi ..
i never had a wine from this winery, i was wondering what can you tell me about them and their wines, if possible pls some Tns as well
what would be the current releases in the US, i remember a friend telling me to try these wines and mentioned the 2002, i know its not the best vintage, but.... ?

Please and Thank you !

Best ..
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Bustan wines

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Menach, Hi….

Founded in 1994 by Ya’akov Fogler, this small winery situated on Moshav Sharai Tikva in the Shomron region draws Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah grapes from the Jerusalem and Judean Mountains, and produces about 2,000 bottles annually. The winery has earned a good name for its distinctly French-style wines, which have had a formal kashrut certificate since 1999.

Following are my tasting notes for those wines currently available and going back to the 2002 vintage. As to availability in the USA, with apologies that is not known to me.

Best
Rogov

Bustan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004: Dark, almost impenetrable royal-purple in color, full-bodied and powerful, with soft, mouth-coating tannins along with aromas and flavors of black currants, blackberries, plums and spices, all with notes of chocolate, minerals and spicy cedarwood. Long and generous. Drink now–2014. Score 91. K

Bustan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003: Dark ruby to garnet, medium-bodied, with soft tannins integrating well and with generous but not overwhelming spicy oak. Spicy currant and berry fruits along with chocolate and tobacco on the powerful but elegant finish. Drink now–2011. Score 90. K

Bustan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002: Medium to full-bodied, deep garnet towards royal-purple, with firm tannins now integrating nicely to reveal sweet cedarwood, currants, wild berries and hints of chocolate, espresso and anise. Drink up. Score 87. K

Bustan, Merlot 2004: Aged in barriques for 22 months, dark, almost impenetrable garnet in color, but despite that casting purple and orange reflections. Full-bodied, with big but velvety smooth tannins and showing a tempting array of blackberries, spices, dark chocolate, green olives and a light note of grilled meat. Luscious and long. Drink now–2012. Score 92. K

Bustan, Merlot, 2003: Deep, dark, rich and aromatic. Full-bodied, with soft tannins, this smooth and round wine opens to reveal generous blueberry, cherry and currant fruits on a spicy floral background, all lingering nicely on the generous finish. Drink now–2012. Score 91. K

Bustan, Merlot, 2002: Aged in oak for 22 months, this dark garnet, full-bodied, firmly tannic and concentrated wine shows generous black fruits, spices and sweet cedar, all coming to a long licorice and chocolate finish. Drink now–2010. Score 92. K

Bustan, Syrah, 2005: Full-bodied, with super-soft tannins and opening with a burst of sweet and savory tannins, those parting in the glass to reveal layer after layer of blackberry, plum and citrus peel notes, complemented by notes of black tea, white pepper and, on the long finish, a hint of peppermint. Concentrated, intense, well focused, supple and harmonious with a super-long finish. Drink now–2013. Score 92. K

Bustan, Syrah 2004: Dark garnet, full-bodied, with firm tannins and gentle smoky wood influences. On the nose and palate black fruits, exotic spices and hints of saddle leather and earthy minerals. Long and generous. Drink now–2012. Score 90. K
Bustan, Syrah, 2003: Aromatic enough to be thought of as perfumed, this full-bodied, chewy and richly tannic wine offers up flavors of blackberries, currants, and boysenberry jam, those with tempting overlays of pepper, wet earth, and just a hint of grilled meat. Deep and intense, with a long, complex finish. Drink now–2011. Score 90. K
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Thank you!
WOW what notes ! sounds really delicious wines, i liked reading about those "meaty" notes :wink: the Merlot and Syrah seemes to be more up my alley.
i presume their relativly short life span is to be blamed on the "mevushal" factory, no ?

exited :wink:
Ciao.. Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Menach, Hi....

To the best of my knowledge, the Bustan wines are not mevushal. I'll double check on that tomorrow and will post again if I'm proven wrong on this.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Walter

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 am

by Matt Walter » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi!

I have had the Bustan 2002 CS and am cellaring the 2003 Merlot. The Merlot is non-mevushal and I'm pretty sure that was the case with the CS as well.

I believe that I liked the 2002 CS a little more than Daniel does. I found it to be very richly colored with great berry flavors and appealing coffee and chocolate notes.

A wine that will grab your attention and that of your guests!

It is available in the US--I got mine at Diwine Liquors in Baltimore. You can also find on-line at https://wwws.onlinekosherwine.com/.

Not cheap; I think that I paid close to $60/bottle, but worth it for a special occassion.

Matt
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Matt Walter wrote:Hi!

I have had the Bustan 2002 CS and am cellaring the 2003 Merlot. The Merlot is non-mevushal and I'm pretty sure that was the case with the CS as well.

I believe that I liked the 2002 CS a little more than Daniel does. I found it to be very richly colored with great berry flavors and appealing coffee and chocolate notes.

A wine that will grab your attention and that of your guests!

It is available in the US--I got mine at Diwine Liquors in Baltimore. You can also find on-line at https://wwws.onlinekosherwine.com/.

Not cheap; I think that I paid close to $60/bottle, but worth it for a special occassion.

Matt

Matt hi ,
Thank you very much !
i in fact found them on the onlinekw site but there is no vintage posted there, its hard to know. but i'll definitly try these wines
Diwine i know but they dont ship so i only buy when im in the area (im in NY)

The winery has earned a good name for its distinctly French-style wines
:thumbs up: ! :wink:

Thanks again
Ciao
Menach
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:07 pm

The wines of Bustan are most certainly NOT mevushal.

Yakov, a good friend, makes these wines (once or twice with my help :wink: ) in his backyard. Yakov is a brilliant man who has studied winemaking and reads scientific winemaking books for fun. His wines are truly made in a garagiste style, but that is not to say that he skimps on any of the lab analysis. He is meticulous and and makes wines that in my (very humble) opinion are quite long lasting. They do throw sediment, but I have recently drunk a '97 (Cab) & '99 Cab & Merlot and they are all VERY MUCH alive and QUITE WELL.

Enjoy!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:53 am

Thank you Gary !
regards
Menach
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am

I am a huge fan of these wines, particularly the syrah.

A little expensive, I guess given the incredibly low yield.

They are NOT mevushal
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

New York

by Menach N » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 pm

i guess i was misinformed about the mevushal issue
Thank you !
-M