Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Mony Winery

no avatar
User

Jaicky T

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

Mony Winery

by Jaicky T » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 am

Rogov,

Any information on this winery and any tasting notes on their wines.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Mony Winery

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Yaakov, Hi...

Located in the foothills of the Jerusalem Mountains on the grounds of the Dir Rafat Monastery, Mony winery was operated for many years by the resident monks. About five years ago, control of the vineyards and winery passed to the Ertul family, long-time vintners for the monastery. Grapes in the vineyards include Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Zinfandel, Shiraz, Carignan, Argaman, Pe-tite Sirah, Chardonnay, Semillon, Emerald Riesling and other varieties. Annual production is about 22,000 bottles. The winery is currently producing wines in two series, the upper-level Reserve and the regular Mony, and from the 2005 vintage, the wines have been kosher. The winery earns two stars in my Israeli Wine Guide (that indicating a winery that I consider "adequate")

As to tasting notes, I would appreciate more specific requests as I have tasting notes for every wine released by the winery since its inception.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

Re: Mony Winery

by Yoni M » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:52 am

Hi Yaakov,

The few wines that I have tasted from Mony (located just up the road from Tzora Winery and the new Teperberg facility) expressed distinctly "old world" character and pronounced vegetal notes. As for the latter, we're talking heavy green pepper and shitake mushroom aromas and flavors.