Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Three from Flam (Israel)

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Three from Flam (Israel)

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:32 am

Included in today's tastings, three new releases from Flam, two of which were last tasted from the barrels, one of which a new tasting. What can I say other than the Flam boys continue to do it right!

Best
Rogov

Flam, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2006: Oak-aged for about 14 months, a full-bodied blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot. Deep garnet towards royal-purple, with soft near-sweet tannins integrating nicely with spicy wood. Intense and multi-layered, opening with cherries and raspberries, those going on to show currants and blackberries, and all on a background of brown spices. Long and generous, with the tannins rising nicely on the finish. Best 2010–2014. NIS 149. Score 92

Flam, Merlot, Reserve, 2006: Dark garnet, a full-bodied blend of 86% Merlot and 14% Petit Verdot reflecting generous but not-at-all exaggerated oak aging with still firm tannins and notes of vanilla and spices. On first attack black fruits, those opening to reveal raspberries and blueberries, those on a background of mocha and sweet-cedar. Give this one time and it will show fine balance between tannins, wood and fruits. Has the structure for aging. Approachable now but best 2010-2015. NIS 149. Score 92.

Flam, Classico, 2007: A gently oak-aged blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot showing currant, berry and black cherry fruits, those complemented by hints of Mediterranean herbs, tobacco and chocolate. Easy to drink, with just the right hints of complexity. Drink now-2010. NIS 79. Score 89
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Re: WTN: Three from Flam (Israel)

by Eli R » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Daniel, Hi,

Thanks for the tasting notes.
The Flam new release shows very consistent quality, drinking window, score (and price!) with last year.
The Flam family did well again, congratulations!

One question though:
The Flam, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2005 received the comment:

Approachable and enjoyable now but best 2009–2013 (2 January 2008)

Do you see the 2006 less approachable now?

I really enjoyed the CS Reserve, 2005 on more than one occasion. (I stocked enough bottles for the coming years)
I have found it more ready to drink than several other Israeli wines of the same quality.

Thank,

Eli

Your notes from last year for comparison (I a sure someone will ask for it 8) :

Flam, Merlot, Reserve, 2005: My earlier tasting note holds firmly: Dark garnet towards royal-purple, medium to full-bodied, reflecting its 18 months in oak with soft, mouth-coating tannins and spicy wood. Look for a tempting light earthiness that supports blackberries, currants, and a touch of spiciness that weaves its way through the wine and then lingers nicely on a long, elegant finish. Drink now–2012. NIS 145. Score 92. (Re-tasted 2 Jan 2008)

Flam, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2005: My earlier tasting note holds firmly: Blended with 6% each of Merlot and Petite Verdot and oak-aged for 18 months, this deep garnet, full-bodied red’s chewy tannins are now integrating nicely but still showing generous wood. On the nose and palate a complex and elegant array of blackcurrant, black cherry, anise and Mediterranean herbs and on the long finish hints of vanilla and sage. Firm but yielding and lingering long on the palate. Approachable and enjoyable now but best 2009–2013. Score 93.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Eli, Hi.....

You ask:
Do you see the 2006 less approachable now?

I'd say that the 2005 and 2006 are equally approachable now, that largely because the 2006 harvest and this specific wine yielded wines that were a wee bit more round and, even though cellar worthy approachable a bit earlier on.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:50 pm

I had the pleasure of tasting the Flam, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2006 today at the Ish-Haanavim "Open-house".
Like the 2005, it will become one of my favorites, drinkable today poured straight from the bottle and opening nicely in the glass.

By the way, the other winners at this event were (IMHO):

Clos de Gat 2004
Yatir forest 2005
and of course: Castel Grand Vin 2002 and 2000.

I also enjoyed the Flam, Superieure, 2006 which I tasted for the first time, and would probabely add to my cellar, listed under "wine for mid-week days".

There were many more excellent wines performing as expected, some too young to enjoy.

All that said, I walked out carrying the Zauberman Merlot, Special Edition, 2005.

Eli
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

by Ehud W » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:01 am

Eli R wrote:I had the pleasure of tasting the Flam, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2006 today at the Ish-Haanavim "Open-house".

I also participated in this open house and enjoyed it very much.

The Flam's Reserve 2005 (CS and Merlot) were indeed excellent, though the warm atmosphere inside the rooms didn't do good to any of the wines. The Cabernet Sauvignon is one of my favorites within the local CS selection, but the Merlot is the real "pearl", so different, unique and exceptional that it really demonstrate how a good Merlot can escape the plumy-jammy trap of other Merlot's.

Other favorites in the tasting - Yatir Forest (powerful, dense, elegant), Vitkin Petite Sirah (on the verge of WOW wine, mysterious, spicy and chewy), Margalit Cabernet Franc (the best of this varietal to my taste) and Chateu Golan Cabernet Sauvignon (balanced, rich yet elegant). Amongst the whites - Pelter Sauvignon Blanc.

Eli R wrote:...and of course: Castel Grand Vin 2002 and 2000.

Here I disagree - the GV 2002 (from a Magnum format) was odd, lacks complexity and not in par with the GV line, while the 2000, though typical and quite pleasant, showed signs of "end of the road" (probably that specific bottle, because I tasted the GV 2000 lately and it should peak right now).
Ehud
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:52 pm

Ehud, Hi,

To tell the truth, I was not impressed by either of the GV, but it was still a "winning" opportunity to taste both amongst the other very young wines.
As for the Chateau Golan Cabernet Sauvignon 2005, though improving from one tasting to another, it still has to show its worth the 94 score Rogov gave it.
When this will happen, I will start drinking from my stock.
As for the other wines you mentioned, no disagreement there.

Eli
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

by Ehud W » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:56 am

Eli R wrote:As for the Chateau Golan Cabernet Sauvignon 2005, though improving from one tasting to another, it still has to show its worth the 94 score Rogov gave it.

94? Really? Can you attach the TN :?:
Rogov?
I scored it "only" 90 at this time, while my other scores vary from Mother Goose by 1-2 points at the most.
The Elad 2005 is a different story, and it should score more thand the CS 05.
Ehud
no avatar
User

Aviram K

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Israel

by Aviram K » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:00 am

I think that the Flam Merlot is one of the finest Merlot that I've tasted from Israel. rich, full, complex, and a nice balance (on the long run)
between wood and fruit.

the Classico, I found it as a value-for-money wine, a great one for a quite nice afternoon meal

as to the "open house" at Ish Ha'Anavim, in addition to the well awarded Yatir Forest, GV, CdG ,and etc. I found the Vitkin Petit-Syrah, and their Carignan the most unusual and interesting wines. In general, I love Vitkin...
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Ehud,

2005- Currently on the Market

Chateau Golan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Royal Reserve, 2005: Almost impenetrably dark garnet in color, this wine is both concentrated and elegant. A blend of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Cabernet Franc, opening with spicy, mocha-tinged black currants, those yielding to blackberries, herbs and light oak. Hints of light sea salt and leather on the super-long finish make the wine intriguing. Perhaps the best yet from the winery. Best 2009–2015. Score 94.

See full details at: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18283Eli
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

by Ehud W » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:08 am

Eli - thanx.
I feel it should fit the CS component of the Eliad rather than the varietal CS, to tell the truth.
Anyway, I found there elegance, that should charm those who passed the stage of blockbusters "in your face" Cabs.
Ehud
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Jan Schultink » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:08 am

Ehud W wrote:The Flam's Reserve 2005 (CS and Merlot) were indeed excellent, though the warm atmosphere inside the rooms didn't do good to any of the wines. The Cabernet Sauvignon is one of my favorites within the local CS selection, but the Merlot is the real "pearl", so different, unique and exceptional that it really demonstrate how a good Merlot can escape the plumy-jammy trap of other Merlot's.

I completely agree with Ehud (I have done this before :D )

Throwing in a note for the 2006 Superiore as well:

2006 Flam Superiore - Israel, Galilee (9/30/2008)
What a wonderful wine. Black/purple. A creamy forest fruit nose. Opening up with black cherry, followed by plum, a nice floral note, cedar and espresso on a smooth/round background with fine tannins and acidity that is noticeable but does not "cleanse the mouth", all of which leads to a long finish of creamy red fruits, espresso with some tea/cedar sneaking in at the end. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

The 2006 Classico still bothers me:

1) Some (most) bottles are great, like previous vintages
2) Some bottles are filled with this "egg/sulphur" sensation (now about 5 or so, from different points of sale)
3) Some (actually one) of them tastes like it has been open for a week (while it was uncorked at my table)