Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

WTN - Villa Branca Chianti Classico 2003

by Menach N » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Rogov hi
i just had this wine last night (the k edition) and was a bit mixed feelin with some dissapoitments,
the colour was light'ish red with some tints of orangy kind of a brick, on a half a glass i was able to see my fingers through the wine, the nose was almost not there but was able to get some semi sweet notes, on the palate a light'sh medium body not deep or complex at all but still a nice quaffer,smooth, over riped cherry and some strawberrie all on a sweetish note with some earth on the finish which turned dryer, very different from what i remember the 2001 which i liked at the time and i think quite different wine for a Chianti classico, no ??
can i pls have you TN on this wine and on the non K edition for comparisson ?
Please and Thank you !
Best regards
Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN - Villa Branca Chianti Classico 2003

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Menach, Hi...

My tasting notes for both editions of the wine in question follow.

Best
Rogov

Villa Branca, Chianti Classico, Tuscany, 2003: Dark ruby in color, medium-bodied, with tannins so light they go almost unfelt. On the nose and palate simple berry, cherry and vanilla notes. An acceptable entry-level wine. Drink now. Score 84. (Tasted 19 Sep 2005)

Villa Branca, Chianti Classico, Aleph, Tuscany, 20003 (Kosher Edition): Light ruby in color and despite its youth already showing hints of browning and adobe bricks. Light in body, with chunky, country-style tannins and showing a simple cherry-berry character with earthy minerals rising towards the end. Cellar this one at your own risk. Drink up. Score 80. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 11 Jun 2006)
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Thank you !
i guess not a great house for Chianti :wink:

-Menach
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Free association lives. During the mid-1960's I had the dubious privilege of meeting with Humberto de Alencar Castelo Branco, then the president of Brazil. That he lived in a place he called "Villa Branco" is, I suppose what triggered the association. Alas, because his not-so-excellent excellency had a great cellar full of 1945 and 1947 Bordeaux, he insisted that his guests drink that horror then known as Brazillian "Scotch".

Best
Rogov