Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Syrah with LOTS of Viognier

User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

Syrah with LOTS of Viognier

by Gary J » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 pm

I remember a discussion we had in our old home about Israeli Syrah with additions of Viognier. I don't remember the details, but I do remember the Dalton reserve Syrah with 10% viognier added being somewhat controversial. Having that in mind, I thought I'd pass along the following writeup about the 2006 Foxen "Toasted Rope" Syrah:

95 Points-Robert Parker, Wine Advocate, June 2008-- "Even more brilliant is the Cote Rotie look-alike, the 2006 Syrah Toasted Rope. A blend of 85% Syrah and a whopping 15% Viognier (an hommage to Guigal's Cote Rotie La Mouline?), it reveals exotic lychee nut and honeysuckle characteristics interwoven with notions of sweet cassis, kirsch, and licorice. Medium to full-bodied with fabulous concentration, a velvety, voluptuous texture, and superb length, this is an amazing effort from the Santa Ynez Valley. Anticipated maturity: now-2015"

With the amazing ripeness and floral aromas Israeli viognier achieves, maybe we should be adding even more to the Syrah...???
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/