Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN - Yiron

no avatar
User

T Shahar

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 am

Helsinki , Finland

WTN - Yiron

by T Shahar » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:53 am

Hello,
Do you have update TS of the Yiron 2005?
Also on my last visit to Thisbi winery I have tasted their new port style wine and I liked it, did you tasted it ?
Thanks in advance
--Tomer--
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN - Yiron

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:43 am

Tomer, Hi....

Following is my most recent tasting note for the 2005 Yiron wine. I've not tasted the Port-style wine of Tishbi. Simple truth of the matter is that as much as I adore various Port wines, I tend to avoid tasting those of local wineries. Perhaps one day I'll wrote a detailed report on precisely why I avoid those.

Best
Rogov

Galil Mountain, Yiron, 2005: A Bordeaux-plus wine—that is to say, 50% Cabernet Sauvi-gnon, 40% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, plus 4% Syrah. Full-bodied and concentrated but simultaneously soft and elegant, with generous cassis and black fruits, with velvety tannins and gently spicy and dusty wood, all of which lead to a super-long finish. Perhaps the best to date from the winery. Approachable now but best 2010–2015. Score 93. K
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi
I tastes the Yiron 2005 lately and except for the label, it shows no relationship to previous years, what so ever.
If you are a Yiron fan, you should treat it as a new different wine, or else you may be disappointed.

As for my own impressions, I will hold until I taste it again in a more relaxing setup.

Eli
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Daniel, did you find this to be different than previous Yirons?

Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:39 pm

Menachem S wrote:Daniel, did you find this to be different than previous Yirons?

Menachem, Hi.....

Perhaps the best way to answer the question is to post my tasting notes from this and other recent vintages.

Best
Rogov

Yiron, 2005: A Bordeaux-plus wine—that is to say, 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, plus 4% Syrah. Full-bodied and concentrated but simultaneously soft and elegant, with generous cassis and black fruits, with velvety tannins and gently spicy and dusty wood, all of which lead to a super-long finish. Perhaps the best to date from the winery. Approachable now but best 2010–2015. Score 93. K

Yiron, 2004: A blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 3% Syrah. Intense garnet towards royal-purple, full-bodied, with firm, near-sweet tannins integrating nicely with smoky and vanilla-tinged wood. Opens with wild berries on the nose and palate, those yielding to black cherry, cassis and spices, and finally on the long finish a tantalizing hint of bitterness. Drink now–2013. Score 91. K

Yiron, 2003: A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Full-bodied, with mouth-coating tannins and spicy wood in fine proportion. Deep ruby towards royal-purple in color, showing appealing blackberry, black cherry and currant fruits, those with light earthy-herbal overtones. Long, mouth-filling and elegant. Drink now–2010. Score 90. K

Yiron, 2002: A medium to full-bodied oak-aged blend of 54% Cabernet Sauvignon and 46% Merlot. Deeply aromatic, dark purple toward black in color, with still-firm tannins well integrated. Shows abundant black cur-rant, plum, black cherry and berry fruits as well as sweet cedarwood. A generous and mouth-filling finish with an appealing light herbal-earthy overtone. At the outer cusp of its peak. Drink up. Score 90. K
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Sounds like the same style from the notes.

Direct question though - when drunk blind, can you pick this out as Yiron?

(I DID say blind, and not "double blind")

Thanks
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:42 am

any news on when it will hit the US ? and then to make a comparisson btween all of them would something nice (well that is to say 2003-2004-2005)
ciao
Menach
no avatar
User

T Shahar

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 am

Helsinki , Finland

by T Shahar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:41 am

Menachem S wrote:Sounds like the same style from the notes.

Direct question though - when drunk blind, can you pick this out as Yiron?

(I DID say blind, and not "double blind")

Thanks

Hi,
I think it is not the same style, look on the grapes that are used for the blend.. it is a bit different every year and after drinking both 2003 and 2004 I can say that there is a big different between them (I liked the 2004 more)

But the good thing with the Yiron is that the price is still the same even that they are getting good scores from both DR and RP, I got the 2005 for 80 Shekels (3 Yirons for one yatir!)
--Tomer--
User

JakovD

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:35 am

Beer-Sheva ,Israel

by JakovD » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:23 pm

And I got in Beer-Sheva the 2005 Yiron for 70 NIS.
Good value , is not it?