Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Two from Bravdo

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Two from Bravdo

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:56 am

Just officially released...

Karmei Yosef, Merlot, Bravdo, 2006: Blended with 15% of Cabernet Sauignon, aged in barriques for 12 months, deep garnet towards royal purple in color, with once gripping tannins now integrating nicely with spicy wood. Full-bodied, the wine opens to reveal a core of plums, blackberries and blueberries, those on a background of exotic spices and hints of chocolate and mocha that linger nicely on the palate. Approachable now but best 2009-2012. NIS 120. Score 90.

Karmei Yosef, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bravdo, 2006: Dark royal-purple in color, medium- to full-bodied, showing firmly tannic and with a somewhat heavy wood influence but still maintaining overall good balance between still firm tannins and spicy wood that allows the fruits to sow nicely. On the nose and palate currants, wild berries and mint notes, those lingering nicely. Best 2009–2012. NIS 120. Score 90.

Best
Rogov
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

Re: WTN: Two from Bravdo

by Ehud W » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:38 pm

I tasted the two wines last Friday at the Grape Man "Open House" - I was disappointed at both and from the talks around me I wasn't the only one.
Somehow, something in the fruit extract, a process the winery developed from the theoretical and academic background of the two key persons in the winery (Bravdo and Shusaiev), causes the wine to fill odd on the nose and too fruity on the palate. I thought the Merlot is a little bit better than the CS but none of them could challenge the 90 scored wines of the other Boutique wineries, IMHO.
Ehud
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Ehud, Hi......

Agreed that we might think of these sometimes as more of "laboratory/academic" wines than "winemakers' wines".

My reaction when first tasted as well but this time I triple-tasted, 15-20 minutes after opening, 1 hour after opening and 3 hours. After the three hour period the wines had come together much more nicely. My estimate - hold these until mid-2009 to find them attaining their best.

Best
Rogov
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:38 am

I wonder Rogov, have you had a chance to taste the 2007 barrel samples from Bravdo?

I ask as 2007 was when control was handed over from the winemakers to the mashgichim and wonder if/how that might affect the wines. Same fruit, same winery, new "chefs"...?????

Thanks!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:43 am

Gary, Hi...

Interesting analogy but might it not be "same chefs, new cooks?" Whatever, my barrel tasting notes for the wines in question follow. Both made during my visit to the winery on 31 March 2008.

Best
Rogov

Karmei Yosef, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bravdo, 2007: Still in embryonic form but already showing firm, deep tannins and spicy wood, those parting to reveal a core of currant, raspberry, toasty oak and licorice notes. Drink from release–2012. Tentative Score 87–89. K

Karmei Yosef, Merlot, Bravdo, 2007: Dark garnet towards royal-purple, medium to full-bodied, with soft, near-sweet tannins and showing a generous array of blackberry, blueberry, spicy and earthy aromas and flavors. Drink from release–2012. Tentative Score 88–90. K
User

Avi Hein

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Israel

by Avi Hein » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Does anyone know when the 2007 may be released? I'm looking for a gift for someone, ideally of one of the newly kosher wines. I saw 2 Agur whites from 2007 at Avi Ben, but am curious if there is any other of the newly kosher wines available.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Avi, Hi...

Considering that Bravdo's 2006 reds were released within the past ten days, I'd guess that we have just about a full year to wait for the release of the 2007 wines. Those 2007 red wines being released now are wines meant for earlier consumption, not as full-bodied, not long aged in oak, etc....

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:39 am

I recently tasted the 06 cab and found it with the consistent characteristic of the winery's wines - it was very green IMHO. Perhaps the greenest red I encountered, much reminded me of green peppers. I can enjoy a wiff of green in a cab (Saslove's wines come to mind in this context), but Bravdo's is too much for me.
I don't know if it's a style decision or a (typical Israeli) phenolic ripening problem, but despite tremendous respect for the professors - I expect more from wines with these price tags.

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:14 am

Lior, Hi...

A question, perhaps rhetorical. and one about which I have wondered in the past as well .... Is it "green" that one feels in the Bravdo wines or is it possibly the notes of oriental spices that are often there along with hints of sometimes mint, sometimes lightly bitter herbs?

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 am

Hi Rogov,

You are obviously the professional while I'm the amateur, but since breaking down the smells is associative there's no correct answer - since the same material can remind me of something and remind you of something else. I personnaly find both the merlots and the cabs from Bravdo green in the sense of green pepper. There are also notes of spices, but the green pepper is on top of everything.

I remember the debate sparked by Squires' criticism of the greeness in Israeli wines, and specifically the point whether it's a flaw or a local charatcer (perhaps even "Israeli terroir"). As with many other questions of this kind I think balance is the key word. As said above, to my taste the wines in question are typically unbalanced in that green component*. I know of regular fans of Bravdo's wines and I give the winery credit for deviating from the common super-ripe and intense fruit that some wineries fall into. That said - their wines are usually not to my taste.

* Lately I tasted the recent release of the cab from Segal's "Single", which was also rather green, but for a 40NIS wine I found it quite acceptable and found the wine to be a nice quaffer. From wines with a three-digit price tags I would expect more.

Lior.