Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Zion Tidhar Winery

no avatar
User

Jaicky T

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

Zion Tidhar Winery

by Jaicky T » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:59 am

Rogov,

Any information on this winery? TN's for their CS?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Zion Tidhar Winery

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Yaakov, Hi.....

The winery in question is Zion and Tidhar indicates the name of the series. Founded in the old city of Jerusalem in 1848 by the Shor family, until recently this winery produced primarily wines for sacramental purposes. Managed by the ninth generation of the family, starting three years ago the winery began to release dry, more upscale wines aimed at a more sophisti-cated market. Now located in Mishor Adumim, not far from Jerusalem, the winery produces about 2,200,000 bottles annually of which 100,000–150,000 are dry, those in three series, Armon, Tidhar and Erez. The winery currently relies largely on Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carignan, Petite Sirah and Emerald Riesling grapes and is developing vineyards with Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier.

Following are my most recent tasting notes for the two Cabernet Sauvignon wines in the Tidhar series.

Best
Rogov

Zion, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tidhar, 2006: Dark ruby towards garnet, me-dium-bodied, with soft tannins and light spicy oak. Aromas and fla-vors of berries, black cherries and purple plums. Not complex but a good quaffer. Drink now. Score 85. K

Zion, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tidhar, 2005: A garnet-red, lightly oaked, me-dium-bodied and softly tannic blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot and 5% Petite Sirah. Black and red berries, ripe purple plums and light spices that run throughout making. Drink now. Score 85. K