Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Billy M

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 am

Suggestions for Un-Oaked Chardonnay

by Billy M » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I have heard/read much talk lately of some of the members' preference for un-oaked chardonnays and I was thinking of trying to test out the differences. So any suggestions would be welcome. As some of you may know I only drink kosher wines so I would appreciate it if your recommendations were narrowed to stay within that limitation.
Thanks
(aka newlawyer)
Is this stuff on the level or are you just making it up as you go along? (Groucho)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Suggestions for Un-Oaked Chardonnay

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:35 pm

William, Hi....

Unoaked Chardonnay most definitely hast its charms, many of the best examples being found in Petit Chablis and Chablis, alas, none of which of quality are kosher. No need to despair though as several wineries do produce high quality unoaked or extremely lightly oaked Chardonnay wines.

From Israel: Periodic (but not every year) releases of unoaked Chardonnay from Dalton; unoaked and/or very lightly oaked from Galil Mountain; a very lightly oaked wine in the Golan series of the Golan Heights Winery; and, starting with the 2007 releases, unoaked kosher Chardonnays from Agur and possibly from Ella Valley Vineyards.

From the Rest of the World: Occasional unoaked Chardonnay releases from Baron Herzog in California, from Tierra Salvaje from Chile and Spain and, in the quite near future both a lightly oaked and an unoaked Chardonnay-Viognier blend from Capcanes in Spain.

Could be great fun to invite friends over, serving Chardonnays for tastings from the same vintage year, even from the same winery, that range in their level of oaking (e.g. Katzrin, Yarden, Golan or the wines in the various series of Carmel). If three wines, a glass for each for each person so the wines can be tasted and evaluated side-by-side. And then, of course, on to a snack or light meal with the wines as accompaniments.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:17 pm

My favorite this summer: Tabor, Chardonnay, 2007

see: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17249&p=145992&hilit=Tabor#p145992

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:38 am

Just received an email inquiring about other, perhaps non-kosher Israeli unoaked Chardonnays. The very best of the unoaked is probably that of Pelter. And then there are also good wines from Somek and Meishar.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:39 am

Also worthy of attention is Flam's unoaked chard-SB blend 07, which is the best white I tasted this summer (Non kosher).
If we're discussing Pelter's whites - from the 2007 I hold the opinion the sauv-blanc is significantly better than the chard. To my taste the chard remains consistently good from 2006, but the sauv-blanc made a leap. If my memory serves me right Rogov's opinion on this is opposite.

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 am

Lior, Hi....

Fairly close in quality and overal consistency for both the Chardonnay and the Sauvignon Blanc of Pelter on their own or when compared one to the other. My tasting notes follow for the last three years

Best
Rogov

Pelter, Chardonnay, 2007: Golden-straw in color, light to medium-bodied and unoaked, opens with grapefruit and pineapple notes, those going on to citrus, green apples and pears. Stylish, juicy and long, finishing on a light flinty-mineral note. Drink now. Score 90.

Pelter, Chardonnay, 2006: Unoaked, this light to medium-bodied white is showing fine acidity to keep it lively. Light golden-straw in color and aromatic with crisp peach, citrus and flinty minerals. Drink now. Score 89.
Pelter, Chardonnay, Unoaked, 2005: Lovely! Fresh and lively, with generous but not at all overbearing acidity and showing appealing peach, apricot and tropical fruits on a background that tantalizes with hints of freshly cut grass. Drink up. Score 90.

Pelter, Sauvignon Blanc, 2007: Light, bright and lively, with pears and passion fruit at its core, those opening to show grapefruit, floral and light mineral notes in the background. Unoaked, a fresh and thoroughly appealing wine finishing with an elegant note. Drink now. Score 89.

Pelter, Sauvignon Blanc, 2006: Light damp-straw in color and un-oaked, with fine balancing acidity to set off refreshing aromas and flavors of tropical fruits, white peaches, green apples, and, as in the previous release, a hint of celery. Drink up. Score 90.

Pelter, Sauvignon Blanc, 2005: Blended with 10% of Semillon, un-oaked, as are all of Pelter’s whites, this crisp and delicious wine offers up bright and generous aromas and flavors of guava, grapefruit, green apples and, lurking in the background, a nearly unconscious hint of celery. Drink up. Score 91.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Don't know about the current release but in the past the Gush Etzion chardonnay was unoaked or very lightly oaked, yet with good flavors.

I also don't know of any particularly good kosher chablis, which is too bad.

In non-kosher chablis, the basic Lamblin usually is quite good.