Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Sight Unseen

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Sight Unseen

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:44 pm

As if to prove that political correctness can be a terrible thing, I received an email today part of which stated that I "should stop talking about blind tastings. People with sight problems should be referred to as 'visually handicapped"

I was reminded of an event I attended some while ago, that tasting sponsored by a group dealing with the problems encountered by people of various handicap. Towards the end of that event one of my colleagues was talking with one of our hosts and observed aloud "Oh... you're visually handicapped". The host responded "Visually handicapped, my ass. I'm as blind as a bat".

Ah well...back to wine. With regard to blind tastings, Giocanda is offering pliable and elastic black sleeves to fully enclose any kind of bottle when such tastings are wanted. The sleeves are available for NIS 44 each (NIS 39 to members of the importer's subscribers' club) and can be ordered by phoning 03 6022746 or by fax to 03 5444259.

Personally, I've always found that brown paper bags do a fine job at public blind tastings, but these might make a nice accessory and are certainly appropriate now as Rosh HaShannah gifts.
Attachments
sleeve.gif
(140.92 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Snorbens, England

Re: Sight Unseen

by Peter May » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 pm

be more useful for blind tastinggs if the bags were numbered
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

Re: Sight Unseen

by Doug Z » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:52 am

[poor taste joke] and i thought that a blind tasting was when ray charles, stevie wonder and jose feliciano went out to party together...[/poor taste joke]

speaking of which, i remember years ago seeing a very powerful adverstisement sponsered by MADD (mother against drunk driving) featuring stevie wonder behind the wheel of car and saying..."i rather drive myself then get into a car with a drunk driver..."

anyway..just associative thoughts...dont mind me, im wasting time at my desk in the office right now.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen