Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

another Haym Soloveitchik book...

by Doug Z » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:21 am

for hebrew readers...

the historian Haym Soloveitchik has written a second book on wine and judaism in the middle ages...which continues from his first.

חיים סולביצ'יק, "היין בימי הביניים, יין נסך: פרק בתולדות ההלכה באשכנז", 480 עמודים, מרכז זלמן שזר.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3594911,00.html

anyone interested in the, to my mind fascinating, if not a bit weird, history of stam yaynam.

i went through his first book (actually a number of times) when it came out and now the second has become available...

with no intention of causing a kosher wine imbroglio, and certainly not to offend our observant members, but this is probably good reading for anyone interested in how cultural and economic pressures have affected jewish practice through the formative middle ages....and certainly if u have an interest in wines.

and of course its interesting to recall that our jewish italian and spanish brothers in those days(as well as moravian for that matter) enjoyed their local chiantis and riojas without looking for a big K on the bottle...

(and me being of fine italian stock, who am i to be different???)

anyway...just thought id give a heads up...any polemics, leave it for the privacy of PM's.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: another Haym Soloveitchik book...

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 am

I'll add my warm endorsement to the Soloveitchik books. Intelligently written, keen historical observations. Well worth the read from the oenological, sociological and historical points of view.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

Re: another Haym Soloveitchik book...

by Yoni M » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 am

We had a very brief discussion on the old forum vis-a-vis the hospitability of the terroir in Troyes. It seems from the review that Soloveitchik continues to maintain his view that the area was not suitable for growing quality grapes, and hence Rashi could not have been a vintner.