Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Jon B Jacobs

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm

New Rochelle, NY

TNR: Flechas De Los Andes Gran Malbec '07

by Jon B Jacobs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Just saw this listed on a kosher wine internet site. Has anyone tasted it? According to the blurb, Baron Benjamin de Rothchild is involved as joint venture partner in the production of the wine, which I found interesting.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR: Flechas De Los Andes Gran Malbec '07

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Jon, Hi...

In recent years the Terrazas de los Andes (the foothills of the Andes), located in Argentina's Mendoza region have become the rage, the best of these wines probably those produced by Bodegas Terrazas de los Andes and others from Bodegyas y Vinedos sur de Los Andes and Vina de los Andes. The wine to which you refer is the product of a winery founded by several Bordeaux based entrepreneurs (Baron Benjamin de Rotshchild and Laurent Dassault). The winery released its first kosher wine from the 2004 vintage. My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Bodegas Flechas de los Andes, Gran Malbec, Argentina, 2007: Garnet towards youthful royal purple, medium-bodied, with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins and opening to reveal purple plum, black cherry and red currant fruits, those on a lightly spicy background and finishing with a hint of licorice. A very good match to spicy sausages and grilled beef or lamb. Drink now-2010. Score 87. K (Tasted 19 Aug 2008)
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:13 pm

and i ; shpper that i am saw it in a store in brooklyn for $30. h
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:24 pm

The people in the store seemed to think it was a "big" wine

what is the normal taste profile for Malbec? Full Bodied? Bold?

This sounds "nice", but not great . . .

Thoughts?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Menachem S wrote:...what is the normal taste profile for Malbec? Full Bodied? Bold?

Menachem, Hi....

Well-known in France’s Bordeaux, the Loire and Cahors, and the specialty grape of Argentina, Malbec is capable of producing dense, rich, tannic and spicy wines that are remarkably dark in color. Although often more dense than most Bordeaux blends, the grape often calls to mind the flavor profiles of Bordeaux.

Best
Rogov
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 pm

This one sounds quite weak versus that description of the grape, don't you think?

Are there any "good" kosher malbecs?
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Daniel.
You might have missed Menachem's question: Are there any "good" kosher malbecs?
I am also interested in your opinion and suggestions.
Thanks.
Zvi
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Zvi and Menachem, Hi....

Indeed I missed that post. Apologies.

With regard to Malbec one has to keep in mind that the vast majority of varietal wines made from this grape come from Argentina, most of the rest of the world using Malbec as a blending agent. Simply stated, Malbec has found its greatest strength in Argentina and I am quite certain that were I make up a list of the 100 or even 200 best Malbec releases in the last decade, 99% if not 100% of those would come from that country.

Because so little varietal Malbec is produced outside of South America, to the best of my knowledge there is to date only one winery producing a kosher edition and that is Israel's Teperberg. If anyone has information beyond that, I would much appreciate hearing about it. Also worth keeping in mind that wines that attain scores of 87 and 88 are indeed good to very good wines.

My tasting note for the Teperberg release follows.

Best
Rogov

Teperberg, Malbec, Terra, 2007: Nicely focused, with black cherry, currant and cocoa notes along with hints of sweet toast and vanilla. Medium-bodied, with soft tannins, most assuredly not an Argentinean Malbec but a very pleasant Mediterranean version. Drink now–2010. Score 88. K
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks Daniel.
Will definitely try the Teperberg, as I have never tasted a Malbec.
Zvi
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Almost forgot to add - expect a really fine varietal Malbec, possibly in time for Passover - from one of Israel's better kosher wineries. No more information at this point.....

Best
Rogov