Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Blogging on Crush

User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am

Sacramento/Davis, CA

Blogging on Crush

by Ilan T » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:11 am

Hi Rogov,

I thought you and some other forum members might be interested in my latest blog post about crush at the winery. Enjoy!

http://themidnighttoker.wordpress.com/2 ... rst-crush/

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Blogging on Crush

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:16 am

Ilan, Hi....

Sounds fascinating. Do, please tell us about a winery in New York City. Is this the service winery we've heard about or a "true"winery? And from where do they source their grapes?

Best
Rogov
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:25 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Ilan, Hi....

Sounds fascinating. Do, please tell us about a winery in New York City. Is this the service winery we've heard about or a "true"winery? And from where do they source their grapes?

Best
Rogov

Hi Rogov,

I don't know what we've heard about, but it's called City Winery. It's website is http://www.citywinery.com.

Without going into too much detail, it's located in SoHo and is the first winery in Manhattan since Shapiro's (which I'm sure strikes a chord of nostalgia for some forum members). They offer "barrel memberships" and operate a little bit like Crushpad in letting members select their varietal, region, and barrel type and be involved in the winemaking process if they want. They source grapes mostly from top west coast vineyards and ship them cross-country at 34 degrees F. Last week we crushed Zinfandel from Lodi and the fruit seemed pretty good.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:41 am

Ilan, Hi.....

That's the one I'd heard about. Last time I was in the city I saw some eye-catching ads that they had posted at the entrance to several subway stations.

Considering the size of most New York City apartments, a good thing for hobbyists and a good way to learn.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Aviram K

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Israel

by Aviram K » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:13 pm

I'd heard this as well, on my last visit to NY.
considering that I'll be there in about a week, is it worth visiting? Is it possible to take a part in the wine-making (just for learning and experience, of course), and does it cost money?
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Aviram K wrote:I'd heard this as well, on my last visit to NY.
considering that I'll be there in about a week, is it worth visiting? Is it possible to take a part in the wine-making (just for learning and experience, of course), and does it cost money?

Hi Aviram,

Probably not, as it's still a construction site, but you can try contacting the office.
@winemakerguy
no avatar
User

RShaffer

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Chicago

by RShaffer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Ilan - very cool!

Why no grapes from New York state, do you think?

Also - you mentioned to me once there is a custom kosher crush facility there, right?

How does that work?

Richard
Richard Shaffer
Israeli Wine Direct
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:44 pm

RShaffer wrote:Ilan - very cool!

Why no grapes from New York state, do you think?

Also - you mentioned to me once there is a custom kosher crush facility there, right?

How does that work?

Richard

I believe they have arrangements with NY growers, but I am not involved with that. They have a kosher staff, which I run, under the supervision of the OU.
@winemakerguy
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:23 am

With re the City Winery, from the Wine Spectator on line:

To make a barrel of wine, City Winery members pay a fee ranging from $5,000 to $15,000, depending on the level of involvement they wish to have and how they want their wine to be made and bottled. Barrel owners will have the opportunity to make wine from grapes that have been trucked or shipped from California, Oregon, Washington and New York this fall, and in the spring, from Chile and Argentina. So far, approximately 30 percent of the 300 available barrels have been reserved, according to Dorf.

I must say that surely sounds like a heckuva lot of money for 300 bottles of bascially home-made wine!

According to the article (which can be read in full at
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Featu ... 14,00.html , there is a facility for up to 30 barrels of kosher wine. One presumes the same prices hold.

Best
Rogov
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:I must say that surely sounds like a heckuva lot of money for 300 bottles of bascially home-made wine!

Hi Rogov,

I beg to differ. The wine is not homemade in any way. The winery features a state of the art facility with a full time winemaker and winemaking staff. The grapes are sourced from top west coast vineyards and shipped to NY under controlled conditions.

WNBC NY just aired a short piece on the winery the other day. You can see it at http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=710721.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:32 am

Ilan, Hi......

Not to misunderstand. I'm not at all opposed to this. In fact it can be a rewarding and fun activity. I suppose that part of my question is that if they are doing all but the crush for you that you're having a private label wine made; and that if you're doing it on your own other than using their grapes and facilities it is indeed a home-made or,if we prefer, personally made wine. And no fear, when next I'm in The Big Apple, I will visit.

Best
Rogov
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:39 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Ilan, Hi......

Not to misunderstand. I'm not at all opposed to this. In fact it can be a rewarding and fun activity. I suppose that part of my question is that if they are doing all but the crush for you that you're having a private label wine made; and that if you're doing it on your own other than using their grapes and facilities it is indeed a home-made or,if we prefer, personally made wine. And no fear, when next I'm in The Big Apple, I will visit.

Best
Rogov

This isn't really a make-your-own-wine operation. It's more of a pay-for-your-own-label-and-participate-if-you-want deal. Up to this point, the wine has been made totally by the winemaking staff. The barrel owners get to pick the variety, appelation, barrel type, and length of aging for their bottles. Up until this point, the barrel-owners have been able to come by the winery and participate in whatever stages they want, but they've really just been helping with sorting and not with anything that could lower the quality of the wine if not done by trained professionals.
@winemakerguy