Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

TNR - the necrophilia continues . . . .

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Hello,

Perhaps someone has tasted the 1916 Rieussec? And can I add to that the 1981 and the 1995?

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR - the necrophilia continues . . . .

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Ryan, Hi….

I have not tasted the 1916 Chateau Rieussec and I doubt that I ever shall. Produced in World War I were produced in miniscule quantities, most of which never left France. As memory serves, in 2007 the owner of a brewery found a long buried wine cellar that contained some six bottles of the wine. Since that time at least 100 of those six wines have appeared at auctions. In other words, antique labels and all, a good chance that quite a few of those around today are
counterfeits. Even if fully genuine, I doubt very much that the Rieussec of that period would have survived its near centennial.

As to the others….

Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes, 1995: Deep golden yellow in color, this concentrated and full bodied wine offers up generous honeyed sweetness that is well balanced by natural acidity. On the nose and palate look for deep honey, citrus rind, mineral, pineapple and flowers and on the long, long finish of this creamy wine look for the entry of browned butter and smoky flavors. Drinking well now but the wine should cellar comfortably until 2015. Score 93. (Tasted 16 Feb 1998)

Chatreau Rieussec, Sauternes 1981: Appealingly sweet but with little botrytis influence in its youth but now, like many of the '81 Sauternes wines taking on overly acidic, nail-polish aromas and oxidized flavors. Well past its peak. No longer scoreable. (Re-tasted twice with consistent notes 19 Aug 1997)

Best
Rogov
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks Rogov! May I add a request for the 1975 as well? Indeed, about the only reference I could find to the 1916 Rieussec was the new story of the collection. This bottle comes from an individual/cellar I trust, and has been in his possetion since before the 'brewery stache' was found.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote: This bottle comes from an individual/cellar I trust, and has been in his possetion since before the 'brewery stache' was found.

Ryan, Hi....

T'would be interesting if you could find out how the bottle came into this person's possession. So few bottles of the 1916 Sauternes left France that it might be a fascinating footnote to the history of wine during the First World War.

Best
Rogov
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Ryan, Hi....

Almost missed this request. Following is my most recent tasting note for the 1975 wine.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes, 1975: A vintage year that proves itself time and time again, the very best of these wines so thick and concentrated that you might swear they were tannic. Dark almost bronzed gold in color, with fine botrytis influence and opening to reveal a tantalizing array of dried apricots and poached pears all on a spicy background. On the long finish hints of minerals and candied apples. Drinking very well now but don't hesitate to cellar this one until 2010. Score 92. (Re-tasted but not blind 30 Oct 2006)