Dinner and Wines for Rosh HaShanna

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Dinner and Wines for Rosh HaShanna

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Why not a bit of sharing - what meals and wines are we planning for Rosh HaShannah, the onset of the Jewish New Year which comes next week?

My own upcoming meal has been written about by Leslie Gevirtz of Reuters at
http://www.reuters.com/article/email/id ... F720080923
Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Dinner and Wines for Rosh HaShanna

Postby Aviram K » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, since the food for Rosh HaShana meal should be kosher- god knows why- I'm pulling my hands of the cooking issue, leaving the mission in the experienced hands of my lovely grandma and aunt. :P

I'll take care for the wines...
I guess we start with Champagne, I haven't decided yet about the label.
for my aunt, that first thing she does when getting a glass of white/sparkling wine is to add Sprite to the glass, I'll offer sweet Lambrusco... I'm not gonna do the mistake and give her a fine Champagne once again... :roll:

for first course I thought of Rose (perhaps Vitkin's Rose) or the Pierre Sparr Sylvaner reserve. Now after reading what you wrote, Rogov, about the Viognier and Gefilte-fish match, I'm having second thoughts...

for main course I think of the Ricasoli Brolio '03 and/or Chapoutier Deschant '05.. I'm having hard times finding the right match for all that Polish cuisine... any suggestions?

for dessert I think it will be the Carmel Kerem Sha'al Gewurz. or the GHW Heights wine...

SHANA TOVA!

Aviram.
Aviram K
Wine geek

Postby Avi Hein » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 am

Not positive yet, but I'm thinking of finally opening my Petit Castel 04 (hasn't been properly stored, so it's time, if it's not too late) and a Recanati Barbera 2005. We'll see about the rest, probably Galil Mt. as this is a good wine for tough global economic times.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
Avi Hein
Ultra geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:42 am

I'll probably get GHW Gamla cab 05 for the main courses and Villa Wilahelma's simple and pleasant Muscat for desert.

Rogov, I didn't understand what sort of a news item Mr/Ms/Mrs Gevirtz wrote. Not that your choices aren't interesting, but it sounds like someone is trying to narrate a blog for you...

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 am

Lior, Hi....

Not a news item but one of the many features items that Reuters writes and sends out on a daily basis to hundreds of newspapers worldwide. The piece was based on a New York City-Tel Aviv telephone interview for a much longer article about Israeli wines.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Ilan T » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Why not a bit of sharing - what meals and wines are we planning for Rosh HaShannah, the onset of the Jewish New Year which comes next week?

My own upcoming meal has been written about by Leslie Gevirtz of Reuters at
http://www.reuters.com/article/email/id ... F720080923
Best
Rogov

Great write up. Reminds me of a few years ago when Madonna came to Israel and they published her Rosh Hashana menu in Maariv and Yediot (the daily newspapers, pretty much like the NY Post and Daily News, only that everyone reads them instead of finding better papers like The NYTimes). Nice lineup.
@winemakerguy
Ilan T
Ultra geek

Postby Leanne S » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 am

I'm going to roast a whole salmon, even though there are no more local ones.

I have to think of sauces.

Wine: there's nothing around here but Baron Herzog and HaGafen.
Leanne S
Ultra geek

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Warning! Thread drift!

Daniel Rogov wrote:Rosh HaShannah

Sorry for the purely pedantic, linguistic question, but doesn't modern Hebrew reduplicate the non-laryngeal consonant after the article - i.e. why rosh ha-shaná instead of rosh ha-shshaná? Come to think of it, because of comparisons with other Semitic languages, why weren't laryngeals (like 'ayin) reduplicated in Biblical Hebrew?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Yoni M » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:40 am

Hi Otto,

Indeed, save for the gutturals, any consonant following the definite article receives a diacritic known as the dagesh forte, and the consonant is doubled (gemination). I cannot think of any instance outside of the ritual reading of the Torah (and even then, only among a real pedant), though, where someone would actually vocalize the doubling. Practically speaking, if you were to double the "sh" you wouldn't actually say ha-shshana; but you would emphasize the "sh" as if you were shushing someone at the library.

You bring up another issue, which is how to accurately transliterate the Hebrew, i.e., how to best represent the text in Latin characters. Here there are two major schools of the thought, the first of which attempts to provide a faithful representation of how the words are pronounced, even at the expense of elegance, added consonants, etc.; the second school, which I would call the scholarly school, attempts to best represent the manner in which the word appears in the Hebrew (the best systems are fully-reversible, i.e., the exact Hebrew text can be replicated from the transliteration), occasionally at the expense of readability. But when it comes to doubling "sh", even the most exact transliteration systems will, for aesthetic reasons, not transliterate as "shsh."

Hope this helps.
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Wow! This thread has gone off kilter :D Anyway, this is what I am looking forward to enjoying.

The usual sepharadi simonim
Mollie katzen's Olive and Bean soup (slightly modified)
My sweet and sour brisket
Kaloua Chocolate Cake

Other meals:
Lemon Baked Rock Cod or Tilapia (depending which is fresher)
Roasted Chicken and Turkey
Rice Pillaf with onions, mushrooms, which has a light creamy flavor

The wines:
Yarden Gewürztraminer 2006 for the simonim
Yarden Pinot Noir 2004
Hagafen Zinfandel 2004
Hagafen Zinfandel Moskowite Ranch Block 61 Reserve 2004
Hagafen Zinfandel 2005

For the other meals:
Four Gates Pinot Noir N.V.
Four Gates Chardonnay 2004

I find that one pulls to family and friends when madness closes around. Remember that when you daven for healthy happy new year - your world is not your home alone.

Best Wishes and Happy New Year Happy my friends!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Michelle Nordell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:34 am

We are going to my family for erev Rosh Hashana, but I am bringing one of the Magical Honey Cakes that I made:

For the other meals, I am going to make:
Barbounia with a lemon chive sauce
Boeuf a la Mode
Whole Wheat Apple-Walnut Batard
Honey Cake with Honey-Thyme Ice Cream

It is a bit last minute, but I haven't decided which wines I am going to serve.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 am

My wife Rachel and my 2 daughters began cooking last night and continued early this morning, even though we are invited out for 2 of the 4 Holiday meals. One of our sons will be home but the other is stuck in the army.

Menu - Meal #1
Home-baked round challot with raisins
Gefilte Fish (whitefish, not carp)
Chicken Soup with Knaidels
Brisket in Wine Sauce
Honey Mustard Chicken
Tzimmes
Plum & Nectarine Noodle Kugel
Mashed Potatoes
Salad
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Wines: Yatir Viognier 2007, Gvaot Masada Merlot 2005, Rimon Port-style Pomegranate Dessert Wine

Meal #2
Home-baked round challot
Sweet meatballs
Chicken Soup with Knaidels
Roastbeef with Bourbon
Turkey Roast
Tzimmes
Barley Salad with Lemon & Cilantro
Cauliflower Kugel
Salad
Cherry Chocolate Brownies
Apricot, Pistachio & Ginger Honey Cake
Wines: Tanya Halel Cabernet Franc 2006 - white and dessert wines not yet decided but leaning towards Yarden Katzrin Chardonnay 2004 and Tabor Pninim 2007 .
For the 2 invited out meals, we will be taking a Yarden Pinot Noir 2004 and a Dalton Reserve Wild Yeast Fermentation Viognier 2007.

Shana Tova, Metuka U'Mevorachat - Shana shel Briut U'Smachot (A Happy, Sweet & Blessed Year - A Year of Good Heath and Joyous Occasions.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Eli R » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Hello All,

I can now report after the fact.

I first opened the Galil Mountain, Barbera, 2006. Some people across the table requested that I will pour from "my" wine and were surprised to hear that this was one of "my bottles".

We the main course we had Carmel Kayumi CS 2004 - a sure bet.

Happy new year!

Eli

On the second day for a light dinner: Saslove CS Reserved 2003, anothe sure bet
Last edited by Eli R on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Second day of Rosh HaShannah and friends over this early evening for cheese and wine.

Domaine des Baumard, Trie Speciale, Savennieres, Loire, 2003: Golden straw in color, opening with a nose that calls to mind the aroma of sculptor's clay. Medium-bodied, opening to reveal notes of quince and white peaches, those with a hint of citrus peel and always in the background earthy minerals. On the long finish a generous hint of fits that is bound to make itself more dominant as the wine develops in the bottle. Drinking nicely now but will be at its best only from 2010-2017. NIS 210. Score 93.

Grand Vin Castel, Israel, 2005: Dark toward inky garnet with firm tannins now integrating nicely with spicy and smoky oak. Opens slowly in the glass to show a nose and palate of black currant, blackberry and purple plum fruits on a background of generous Mediterranean herbs and near-sweet tobacco. On the long finish hints of citrus peel, anise and dark chocolate. Drink now–2013. Score 92. K

Special Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004: Showing well from its youth but even better now. A limited edition of 600 bottles, this full-bodied blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon and 14% Petite Sirah shows fine balance between tannins that are now integrating nicely, hints of sweet oak and generous but subdued black currant, plum and chocolate aromas and flavors. Drink now–2014. Score 92.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby EY Han » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi everyone,

First dinner with main course of tarragon chicken: Hagafen Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc, 2006; GHW Yarden Heightswine, 2005; Carmel, Appellation Judean Hills Carignan Old Vines, 2005; Tabor, Adama Bazelet Merlot, 2005; Recanati Reserve Cabernet Franc, 2004.
First lunch with no particular main course: Ella Valley Sauvignon Blanc, 2006 (second tasting); GHW Yarden Blanc de Blancs, 2001.

Second dinner: Carmel, Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot, 2007; Recanati Reserve Merlot, 2004 (second tasting).
Second lunch with main course of meatballs: Recanati Reserve Chardonnay, 2006; GHW Yarden Merlot, 2003; Carmel, Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot, 2007 (from friend's cellar).

Best wishes and a happy and sweet New Year to all!
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Postby Avi Hein » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Didn't have the Recanati Barbera 2005 yet, but instead for 1st lunch opened up the Petit Castel 2004... quite enjoyable, complex, cassis, similar "red" fruits. Probably should have been decanted.

For 1st night dinner at a friend's - well, Young Selected Moscato - like Sprite or 7-Up. I like Sprite and 7-Up, and, more importantly, like the friends, so a chance to taste something that I normally don't.

For 2nd night dinner and lunch this afternoon -- 2007 Galil Mountain Merlot.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
Avi Hein
Ultra geek

Postby Menach N » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am

Had The Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004, wow ! but ..
great & delicious wine but way to early to drink ! it would need alot of air and swirling to calm its grippiness and strength,power. full body full of layers of different flavors btween currants to plums to bluberries some spices espresso cofee and earthy notes flying around, very long and deep with a very strong grippie long finish were the alcohol if felt ( 14.5 !! ) and a vey long aftertaste, loved it and clearly to young to drink, a bomb of power yet delicious !
second day tryed teh Bustan Merlot 2002, a wine that i can get confused with a brdx wine very familiar charateristics but was a little lost in picking up the falvors, but overall a very silky smooth wine !!! full body a nice depth and comlexity and lovly finish but all in a relaxed way -nothing jumping out, all blended well-
probably because it was after the Ortal of the night before that this one seemed to be a bit "slow", maybe not, i wonder how much life ahead this wine has ?
there were other btls at the table like, Herzog Januesse 2007, Ch. Jaumare 2003, Capcanes Peraj Petita 2006, and i just realized i forgot to take out my btls of Domaine Pinnicle Apple icewine :x the most appropriate time of the year to try a wine like this, oh well . ill probably open them sometime in the next few weeks
A wonderfull year to all !!
Best regards
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Menach N » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 am

Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004.....

Bustan Merlot 2002 ..... probably because it was after the Ortal of the night before that this one seemed to be a bit "slow", maybe not, i wonder how much life ahead this wine has ?

Rogov hi
can you pls post your most recent TN on these wines ? curious to compare

did anyone else have the Bustan Merlot 02 recently ?

Please and Thank you
best..
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Matt Walter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Hello All!

We had several wines over R"H. The ones that stood out were:

Bustan Merlot 2003

Ch. Le Crock 2001

The Bustan was my only bottle--I will have to save up and buy more. It was quite good.

Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Over the course of the 4 holiday meals (2 at home and 2 at guests) my contributions were Domaine St. Benoit Chateauneuf du Pape Laureline 2005, Hagafen, Prix (Black Label), Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003, Yatir Forest 2002, Hagafen, Prix, Late Harvest Chardonnay, 2006 and the Bustan Cabernet Sauvignon 2003. All very enjoyable.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Adler » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:18 pm

Shana Tova to All

First Night we had several guests and opened some wines we had not tried previously

Galil Mountain Viognier (2006) with our Roasted Butternut Soup

With the main course (Buffalo Brisket and Roast Turkey) we served Tabor Adama Volcanic Soil and Clay Soil Cabernets (2006). The wines were a hit as everyone was intrigued by the variation in tastes.

Cheers!

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff Adler
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:37 am

Menach N wrote:
Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004.....Bustan, Merlot, 2002

Menach, Hi....

My most recent tasting notes for the wines in questio follow.

Best
Rogov

Golan Heights Winery, Syrah, Ortal Vineyard, Yarden, 2004: Perhaps the best Syrah ever in Israel. Extraordinarily deep ruby, full-bodied, with near-sweet tannins integrating nicely with spicy wood. Opens with a burst of almost-jammy raspberries and kirsch liqueur, those yielding to blackberry, cherry and plum fruits. In the background generous hints of anise and Oriental spices and a hint of freshly tanned leather. Approachable and enjoyable now, but best 2010–2018. Score 94. K

Bustan, Merlot, 2002: Aged in oak for 22 months, this dark garnet, full-bodied, firmly tannic and concentrated wine shows generous black fruits, spices and sweet cedar, all coming to a long licorice and chocolate finish. Drink now–2010. Score 92. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menach N » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Thank you Rogtov for the notes !
im really looking fwd for the next time i try the Ortal Syrah, maybe just for my palate its not that aproachable but definitly a delicious wine, Anxious to see it develop !! "non vedo l'ora !"
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Dug deep into the cellar for a lunch with very good friends; I was faid i was digging too deep but the wine was just fine.

1970 Chateau Mouton-Baron Philippe (Pauillac). Bought it young, a fine wine from a fine and very fruity vintage. Still fine and still good fruit, with additional aromas due to age and oxidation; almost a fig-like character. All very happy with it. My only bottle, but well served.

1999 von Simmern Rauenthaler Baiken spatlese. Nine years old and still showing fine fruit and acidity with a bit of honey in the backtaste.

1970 Warre vintage port for dessert. Still quite fruity, not as complex as one might expect from a port that old, so still shuold be able to develop. But that also was my only bottle, so I'll probably never know.

L'shana tovah, all.
YoelA
Wine guru

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum