Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Kosher German wine???

User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Kosher German wine???

by David Raccah » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Hello Daniel and the gang,

Has anyone seen a kosher German wine out there? Would love a real German Riesling or Pinot.

Thanks!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: Kosher German wine???

by David Raccah » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:39 pm

So after more searching it looks like Abarbanel sells some wines - what I am not sure about is whether these are really from Germany or from elsewhere. Daniel do you have any tasting notes on the Abarbanel Pinot Blanc, Gewurztraminer, and Riesling (not interested in the Brut)?

Tahnks!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:44 pm

David, Hi….

The Pinot Blanc, Riesling and Gewurztraminer imported by Abarbanel are from Alsace in France and not from Germany. Abarbanel did for a while import several kosher wines from Germany, those produced by the Schenkel winery in Schwabenheim in the Rheinhessen area. As I remember there were a red and a white, those made not from the most noble grapes but from Dornfelder and Rivaner. I tasted only the 1999 editions of those wines and those were best described as "eminently forgettable".

Kosher wines are indeed produced in Austria (largely by Hafner) and Aslace but I cannot call to mind any kosher wines now being produced in Germany. Perhaps one or more of our members can jump in on this.

Following are several tasting notes for both the Abarbanel and the Hafner wines.

Best
Rogov

Abarbanel, Gewurztraminer, Alsace, 2004: Shows litchi and spices in keeping with the variety but the fruits taste somewhat tinny, and too many earthy, bitter notes interfere with the pleasure of the wine. Drink now. Score 76. K (Re-tasted 21 Apr 2006)

Abarbanel, Gewurztraminer, Alsace, 2006: Golden straw in color, with traditional litchi and spicy notes on a background of summer fruits and with an appealing note of freshly cut grass. Drink now-2008. Score 85. K (Tasted 22 Jun 2008)

Abarbanel, Riesling, Alsace, 2004: Medium-bodied, light golden in color, with peach and mineral aromas and flavors. A simple but pleasant quaffer. Drink now. Score 80. K (Tasted 21 Apr 2006)

Abarbanel, Pinot Noir, Alsace, 2005: Light, almost dilute cherry red in color but aromatic and with appealing berry, cherry fruits. Nothing complex here but pleasant enough for brunches or picnics. Drink now. Score 83. K (Tasted 3 Nov 2006)

Abarbanel, Pinot Blanc, Alsace, 2004: Light golden in color, medium-bodied, soft and round, with aromas and flavors of ripe apples and peaches. On the finish a hint of butterscotch and a bit of residual sugar rises but that balanced by hints of citrus-like acidity. At its best with fatty fish. Heck, even a good option with gefilte fish. Drink now. Score 85. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Abarbanel, Pinot Blanc, Alsace, 2006: Light golden straw, light- to medium-bodied, with baked quince, apple and citrus peel notes on a lightly honeyed background. Drink now. Score 85. K (Tasted 22 Jun 2008)

Hafner, Zweigelt-Blaufrankisch, Neudsidlersee, 2003: Ruby towards garnet red, medium-bodied, with somewhat firm tannins and generous oak holding back the black cherry, berry and plum fruits. Time may help. Then again, it may not. Score 85. K (Tasted 21 Mar 2005)

Hafner Weine, Scheurebe, Trockenbeernauslese, 2000: Medium-bodied, moderately sweet with good concentration and fine balancing acidity. Opens to show honeyed peach and apricot fruits on a lightly spicy background. Appropriate as an aperitif or as a dessert wine. Drink now-2009. Score 88. K (Re-tasted 19 Apr 2005)
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:06 am

Hi Daniel.
Do you have a TN for the kosher German wine Schenkel Riesling 2006 from the Rheinhessen region which is imported to Israel by Kelta?
Thanks.
Zvi
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:25 am

Zvi, Hi....

I have not yet tasted the wine in question. Thanks though for the heads-up. I shall now hunt up a bottle.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

sara.iselin

Rank

Just got here

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:12 am

by sara.iselin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

my husband and I have produced a kosher pinot noir or Blauer Spätburgunder with the Rabbi from Baden Baden, Naftoli Surovtsev.

We will be filling next week.

You can get in touch with us for a tasting or to order at welcome@weingutiselin.comor call us at 07224/1666.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sara Iselin
Weingut Iselin
Altes Rathaus
Hauptstrasse 11
76593 Gernsbach ( bei Baden Baden)