Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Return / Friday Night wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Return / Friday Night wine

by Harry J » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:44 am

bsd
Often summertime we tend to travel;searching for as of yet unexplored horizons.
And now what? Back to the same old..?
In this computer age where one can delete and start afresh so to speak;
can we perhaps find that newness deep down inside.
Have a good one; h
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

Re: Return / Friday Night wine

by Birger Vejrum » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi Harry,

Roero "Ròche d’Ampsej" 2004 from Correggia Matteo in Canale.

Some photos from our visit 3 weeks ago.

The nice 13 years old dog, very friendly. Didn´t get up when we came, just barked as we arrived.

Try to click on "Azienda" on the website http://www.matteocorreggia.com/

Sig. Matteo died a couple years ago, an accident in the vineyards, 39 years old.

Ciao
Birger
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:24 am

This Friday it was a big family birthday party for a 4 year old on the roof with barbecue.
About 20 people, only a handful of wine drinking companions.

I picked for the event the following wine (rogov's latest WTN):

Galil Mountain, Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005: Dark and concentrated, full-bodied, showing a light herbal and spicy oak nose and opening to reveal currant, blackberry and black cherry fruits, all coming together in a long, chocolate-rich and elegant finish. Drink now–2011. Score 90. K

It was a good choise, great QPR (at always with the Galil Mountain winery), and I enjoyed it very much myself.
After having the Barbera on Rosh Hashana, those were two excellent wines I bought again yesterday for under 100 NIS for both.

Eli
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:52 am

Hi,

For friday night's dinner I opened another bottle of Vitkin -
Vitkin, White Israeli Journey 2007 - As usual - aromatic and fruity, fresh, nice acidity and easy drinking. In one word - delicious (~60NIS and well-worth it). I'm going to post on my blog a list of the best Israeli whites I've had this summer and this is probably going to reach #3.

A good week to all,

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:45 am

A casual dinner with friends and an entirely Israeli night for wines. Started off with 2007 Sauvignon Blanc from three different wineries to let people make the comparison, then on to lighter Cabernet Sauvignon (Tabor, Galil Mountain), then to fuller-bodied reds - Katzrin 2003, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, Castel Grand Vin 2003, and finally with Heightswine.

Best
Rogov
User

Avi Hein

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Israel

by Avi Hein » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Friday night, finished a bottle of 2007 Galil Mountain Merlot that I opened the 2nd day of Rosh Hashana. Having sealed it with a Vacu-vin (my parents' basement has tons of these, from my father's old liquor/wine shop!), I didn't notice too much variation between last night and RH but I found it a bit too "harsh" for a Merlot and not as enjoyable as the 2006. Not sure if it was the bottle, me, or what. I'm sure I'll give it another try later on.

Saturday lunch was the 2007 Yarden Gewurtzraminer with some sushi and broccoli/tofu. A quite enjoyable wine at a good price IMHO (about 60NIS), lots of lychee, passion fruit. Although for a wine labeled as semi-dry, it was quite sweet, but I am not too familiar with other non-dessert wine Gewurtzraminers to make a good comparison, but makes me want to make a bad joke about kosher wine being sweet (totally not true, of course).
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Harry;

Beautiful thoughts for Shabbat Shuva.

We enjoyed a Recanati Shiraz Reserve (2004) for shabbat dinner.

Cheers

Jeff
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:58 pm

Tabor merlot gir 05 and my last btl of gan eden cest bouli.h
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:42 am

Shavua Tov. Friday night we opened our last bottle of Gvaot Mechol HaCramim 2006 Cabarnet - Merlot blend. Anxiously awaiting the December release of Gvaot's Masada 2006 and Cabarnet Franc, especially after our barrel-tasting of the Cabarnet Franc at the winery several months ago.
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

by Michael P » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:07 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:A casual dinner with friends and an entirely Israeli night for wines. Started off with 2007 Sauvignon Blanc from three different wineries to let people make the comparison, then on to lighter Cabernet Sauvignon (Tabor, Galil Mountain), then to fuller-bodied reds - Katzrin 2003, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, Castel Grand Vin 2003, and finally with Heightswine.

Best
Rogov

Rogov,
Do you have an updated TN for the Castel?

Thanks.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:28 am

Michael, Hi....

Following is my tasting note from the other evening.

Best
Rogov

Castel, Grand Vin, 2003: Continues as recently to opens with a somewhat medicinal-iodine aroma, that yielding to licorice, meaty notes and spices. Dark garnet, full-bodied, with its tannins now integrated nicely and opening to reveal black currants and black and red berries, those with overlays of sweet herbs and green olives. On the long finish an appealing earthy-herbal note. Losing its fresh fruit nature and showing notes of maturity. Drink now–2010. Score 90. K (Re-tasted but not blind 3 Oct 2008)
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

by Doug Z » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 am

fri night in den haag.

most exalting experience was fri aft visit to the http://www.mauritshuis.nl/index.aspx?siteid=54 a little gem of a museum consisting of only dutch masters.

especially remarkable was rembrandt's The anatomy lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp and of course vermeer's Girl with a pearl earring

dinner later in an old dutch house, converted for formal dinners...whose name escapes me.

wines were

white-The Ruins, Chardonnay-Viognier 2007 from South Africa

red- Château Ramafort Médoc Cru Bourgeois Bordeaux 2005

the type of place where the waiter will never let your glass be empty for more a few moments.

and then i returned....here to reality.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen