Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

The Future of Wine Sales in Interesting Economic Times

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 am

Sent to me by Richard Shafer, an interesting piece in Slate about the future of the wine market in the USA as it relates the current economic problems.

As Richard summed it up:

-alcohol purchases are sensitive to economic downturns (bad news!)
-wine is much less sensitive to an economic downturn than is beer or spirits (good news!)
-while wine buying in restaurants is way down now (bad news!), retail wine sales are moving along strong (good news!)

The full article can be read at http://www.slate.com/id/2201323/ . As for me, with my limited knowledge of the world of economics, I will do best to keep my mouth firmly shut at the moment.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Palm Beach, Florida

Re: The Future of Wine Sales in Interesting Economic Times

by Ken Schechet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:04 am

Rogov, not true everywhere. Here in Palm Beach County Florida retail wine sales are down more than 30% from last year. I get this from my editor at Spivak on Wine, whose day job is wine distributor. Normally in bad economic times people stay home more and will buy a bottle of wine to have there. It doesn't seem to be happening this time. And this is a relatively well-to-do area.

I'm curious if others are seeing the same thing in other parts of the world.
Ken
My Indian name is "Walks With Wine".