Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

galil mt sangiovese

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

galil mt sangiovese

by Harry J » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Bsd. Has anyone ever seen anywhere(in israel) galil mt sangiovese ?and btw is the galil mt 07 shiraz on shelves?h
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: galil mt sangiovese

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Harry, Hi....

Following are my tasting notes for the most recently released red wines from Galil Mountain, one from 2006 and others from 2007. I have not tasted and do not know if they have or are planning to release a Sangiovese for 2007. When/if I hear about such a wine I will certainly post.

Best
Rogov

Galil Mountain, Barbera, 2006: Dark, almost inky ruby towards garnet in color, with its impressive 15% alcohol content in fine balance with wood, tannins and fruit. On the nose and palate blackberries, blueberries, plums and violets supported nicely by notes of vanilla, milk chocolate and, rising on the long finish notes of black pepper. Generous, gently mouth-coating tannins and fine concentration. Drink now-2011. NIS 59. Score 91. K

Galil Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium-bodied, with soft, gently caressing tannins and showing an appealing array of blackberry, blueberry and cassis, the fruits on a background that hints nicely of mint and bitter-sweet chocolate. Drink now-2010. NIS 48. Score 88. K

Galil Mountain, Merlot, 2007: Royal purple in color, medium-bodied, with silky tannins and showing a generous berry-cherry-raspberry personality, the fruits on a background of sweet peppers, Madagascar green peppercorns and mint. Nothing overly complex here but a lovely wine on its own or with a host of foods. Drink now-2010. NIS 48. Score 88. K

Galil Mountain, Shiraz, 2007: Medium- to full-bodied, with gently mouth-coating tannins and showing an appealing array of cherry, wild berry and peppery notes, all lingering nicely. Drink now-2010. NIS 48. Score 89. K
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi Harry,

I have seen the Galil Mt. Shiraz, 2007 on most shelves.

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:25 pm

One second;I don't know how to do cut and paste but the sangiovese albeit06 was written about with a tn in rogovs ramblings !h
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Harry, Hi….

I may well be mistaken – with as many tasting notes as I have to keep track of that happens from time to time – but I believe the last Sangiovese I tasted from Galil Mountain was the 2005 release. Is it possible that we are confusing with the Sangiovese in the Gamla series of the Golan Heights Winery for both the 2006 and 2007 wines in that series were tasted in barrels. My tasting notes for the three wines in question follow.

Best
Rogov

Golan Heights Winery, Sangiovese, Gamla, 2006 (Barrel Tasting): Aromas and flavors of raspberries, strawberries and cassis, those on a medium-bodied frame with soft tannins and showing appealing hints of spicy oak and sawdust, all leading to a fresh finish. Best from release-2010. Tentative Score 87-89. K (Tasted 12 Feb 2008)

Golan Heights Winery, Sangiovese, Gamla, 2007 (Barrel Tasting): Dark ruby towards garnet, medium-bodied, with caressing tannins, a smooth, round wine with raspberry and blackberry aromas and flavors on a chocolate and mocha scented background, all lasting through the long and easy-going finish. Drink from release-2012. Tentative Score 88-90. K (Tasted 12 Feb 2008)

Galil Mountain, Sangiovese, 2005: Dark, almost impenetrable garnet in color, rich, complex and with remarkable finesse for a pure Sangiovese. On the nose and palate plum, cherry, blackberry, anise, currants and wild berries. Drink now. Score 90. K
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Yes,yes!the 05 g.m. But that would have been released in the last 6 months yet no one has ever mentioned seeing it..
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:51 am

Harry, Hi......

I am smiling with the thought that we are doing something akin to what happens in the shuk (the open air markets of the Middle-East).... That is to say, the vendor offers you tomatoes at 5 shekels a kilo, you counter with an offer of 2. He says he's willing to go to 4 and you suggest 3. At that point he tells you in a mournful voice that he has a family to support and you, out of the generosity of your heart, offer 3.50. At that compromise the tomatoes finally make their way into a bag.

At first I assumed you were talking about a 2007 release Sangiovese from Galil Mountain. You more or less "came down" to 2006. I countered with my 2005 tasting note and you settled for that. Alas though, I cannot put a bottle in the bag for you because that wine was released at least 14 months ago and I have no idea if any remains on the shelves anywhere. If I do run across bottles, I will let you know.

Best
Rogov