Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

The British Drink Too Much

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

The British Drink Too Much

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 am

In an excerpt from her book, A Field Guide to the British, Sarah Lyall suggests that may Brits drink so much that most Americans would consider them to be "functrional alcoholics". See the article in the Times on Line at
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 880902.ece

I look forward to the reactions/heated defenses that will come from our bretheren and sisters on the sceptred isles

Best
Rogov
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

Re: The British Drink Too Much

by Birger Vejrum » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 am

Hi Daniel,

If you have a look at the British Forum http://www.wine-pages.com they do it in style :wink: I have been in England many times 1978-1992 and met with a lot of people, great people with the best homour I know.

In April 2009 I have arranged a trip to Piemonte for 15 Forum members of Wine Pages and I am looking forward to it, great people.

The Danish people drink more though :roll: :D

Ciao
Birger
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Birger, Hi....

I've done neither a statistical nor an observational analysis but the question relates to far more than how much people drink. Also to (a) the combination of wine, beer and other alcoholic beverages; (b) when, for what reasons and how the people drink (in binges, on a regular basis, with or without food, etc); (c) the level of alcohoism, liver diseases and other alcohol related health problems; (d) the association between driving and auto accidents; (e) behavior in public places when drinking or over-drinking.

It goes without saying that every country has its civilized and cultured drinkers. More interesting issues might relate to alcohol and developed images of drinking/drinkers in given societies.

Best
Rogov
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

by Birger Vejrum » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Birger, Hi....

I've done neither a statistical nor an observational analysis but the question relates to far more than how much people drink. Also to (a) the combination of wine, beer and other alcoholic beverages; (b) when, for what reasons and how the people drink (in binges, on a regular basis, with or without food, etc); (c) the level of alcohoism, liver diseases and other alcohol related health problems; (d) the association between driving and auto accidents; (e) behavior in public places when drinking or over-drinking.

It goes without saying that every country has its civilized and cultured drinkers. More interesting issues might relate to alcohol and developed images of drinking/drinkers in given societies.

Best
Rogov

Hi Daniel,

It is said compared to the population Danish people drink a lot.

I have been to sevaral pubs in England and Denmark, very identically.

During our holiday in September in Italy, the Italian people had wine at 09.00 in the morning at the cafe. Thats usual :roll: :lol: I do not fint that the Britts drink more than the rest of us, they just have more fun.

Ciao
Birger
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:39 pm

The article is a coarse generalization.

I don't want to defend Britain's binge drinkers, particularly when abroad, but would like to point out that my compatriots have no monopoly of that type of behaviour. My son has worked in the catering industry in both London and a Scandinavian capital and says that fighting drunk and puking customers are far more common in the latter.

There remain many civilized British drinkers; I hope that I can be classed as one.
Tim York
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Tim, Hi.....

We are in fuil accord. Those who choose to be obnoxious exist in all societies as do those who choose to behave like cultured, civilized human beings. I suspect that we also agree with the sentiment "being ladies and gentlemen will not solve the problems of the word but it will certainly make it a more pleasant place in which to live"*.

Best
Rogov

*Not sure from where the quotation comes. It might have been Oscar Wilde, Judge Learned Hand or Olive Wendell Holmes.
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

by Trevor F » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:47 am

I've been busy in Belgium recently which is why you haven't heard from me. Hope you haven't missed me too much.

The British media hype all this up. In Spain they drink at lunchtime, then go off and have the most horrific accidents at work, falling off scaffolding, arms getting caught up in cutting machines, etc. In 2005 we drove through north-west Spain and stopped in Ribadavia on the Rio Minho. We weren't to know this but it was a local feria or holiday that afternoon --- the cream of Spanish youth were in the old town drinking bottles of the local vino joven ( young wine ) and getting totally blotto, so much so that they started vomiting and urinating in the narrow streets, then they started throwing empty bottles at each other, ricocheting off the walls. I was with my 9 year old daughter at the time ---- we scarpered ( ran off ) fast

See http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=9275
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Definitely widespread drink problems here - maybe not the worst in Northern Europe, but plenty to be sad about.

Not everyone of course and plenty grow up and out of it. Getting a long term partner often helps.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster