Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR - Assorted Pinot

User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

TNR - Assorted Pinot

by Ryan M » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am

Hello,

Here is a list of wines I'm considering for a Pinot Noir tasting. Has anybody tasted any of them?

Thanks,
Ryan

Crescendo, Pinot Noir, Napa 2005
Angeline, Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley 2006
Cloudline, Pinot Noir, Oregon 2007
Dubois, La Combe, Ladoix 2005
Louis Jadot, Nuits-St.-George 2003
Vollereaux, Rose, Champagne NV
Kim Crawford, Pinot Noir, Marlborough 2005
Affentaler, Spatburgunder, Baden 2006
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN: Assorted Pinot

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:25 pm

Ryan, Hi....

Following are my notes for those of the wines on your list that I have tasted.

Best
Rogov

Jean-Luc Dubois, Ladoix, La Combe, Burgundy, 2005: Deep ruby in color, medium- to full-bodied, with surprisingly chunky and gripping tannins for a Ladoix, but those turn somewhat softer in the glass and reveal black cherries, raspberries and spices that linger nicely. Not to everyone's taste and one for cellaring but if you want a somewhat "tough" Pinot this one may do nicely. Drink now-2009. Score 87. (Tasted 26 Feb 2007)

Louis Jadot, Nuits-St-George, Burgundy, 2003: Dark ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with tannins that are just now starting to soften. Opens in the glass to show off generous black cherry, currant and then raspberry fruits, those on a spicy and peppery background. Long and generous. Approachable and enjoyable now but best 2008-2015. Score 90. (Tasted 11 Feb 2006)

Vollereaux, Rosé de Saignée Brut, Champagne, n.v.: Rosé Champagne from one of the family-owned small producers that is making a good name for itself. Made entirely from Pinot Noir grapes, rose-petal pink with orange tints, medium- to full-bodied, with a long mousse, sharp and well-focused bubbles that linger nicely. On the nose and palate red cherries and raspberries along with a hint of what might be red currants, those complimented by an appealing light toasty white bread sensation. Drinking nicely from release but don't hesitate to cellar for 3 -5 years. Score 89. (Re-tasted 8 Aug 2007)

Kim Crawford, Pinot Noir, Marlborough, New Zealand, 2005: I've never met Kim Crawford but if ever I do the first thing I will have to do is apologize to him because it is primarily with Sauvignon Blanc and not Pinot Noir that I associate his name. Best to describe this as typical of earlier vintages of this release, medium-bodied, with soft tannins, a light hint of spicy oak and showing appealing currant and cherry flavours. Not overly complex but makes for very nice dinner drinking. Drink now-2009. Score 88. (Tasted twice with consistent notes 4 Sep 2008)
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

Re: TNR - Assorted Pinot

by Ryan M » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Thank you very my good man!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)