Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

WTN - 2004 Hamasrek Cabernet Sauvignon Barrel no. S.M. 3/05

by Jan Schultink » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

This winery should be on people's watch list:

2004 Hamasrek Cabernet Sauvignon Barrel no. S.M. 3/05 for Oded - Israel, Judean Hills (10/9/2008)
A rare wine especially bottled for a friend of mine, but showing that the Hamasrek winery could make it to the "premier league" of Israeli wine making if they manage to scale up production. Purple, almost black. A wonderful nose of fresh cassis, glazed cherries, some mocca and floral notes. On the palate, an immediate attack of strong (cabernet) cassis and raspberry, on a slightly sweet background (probably the result of a powerful alcohol punch, the bottle does not say what it is). Softer notes of vanilla/mocca, peppermint and even some citrus. The mouth feel of the wine seems to consist of 2 separate liquids blended together: a (pleasantly) acidic, mouth cleaning component supplemented by a much richer, silkier and rounder companion. Everything leads to a long and satisfying finish of more cassis/mocca/mint/bread. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN - 2004 Hamasrek Cabernet Sauvignon Barrel no. S.M. 3/05

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Jan, Hi....

With no relation to HaMasrek or any other winery, I have often considered the issue of whether the release of a single barrel or less of truly fine wine demonstrates that the winery is capable of moving up in overall quality.

I cannot help but think that given enough barrels from which to choose and perhaps blend the well-tuned wine lover, whether with any training in winemaking or not, could manage to make such an upgraded wine. Something akin, perhaps to the infinite number of monkeys given an infinite number of typewriters and one of them would type out Hamlet.

Just random thoughts. Of course the rebuttal to my hypothesis is that there have been a heckuva lot of human beings with typewriters and only one of them ever managed to write Hamlet.

Best
Rogov
User

Jan Schultink

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN - 2004 Hamasrek Cabernet Sauvignon Barrel no. S.M. 3/05

by Jan Schultink » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Fair point Rogov. The ability to scale up from a barrel to 1,000s of cases (and more) is exactly the issue here.