Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Forum Contest: Winners Announced

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:43 pm

In July, with the forum's move to the WLDG, I announced a mini-contest to see who could come closest to guessing my list of the 10 best Israeli wineries scheduled to appear in the 2009 edition of my book. This evening I had to close the contest a bit early (apologies to those who may not have had a chance to post) because the list from my chapter on Israeli wines in Tom Stevenson's 2009 World Report has now been published online here in Israel and the two lists, as might be expected, are identical.

The list of the country's best wine producers:

1. Golan Heights Winery (Katzrin, Yarden, Gamla)
2. Margalit
3. Yatir
4. Castel
5. Clos de Gat
6. Flam
7. Chateau Golan
8. Carmel (Limited Edition, Single Vineyard, Appellation)
9. Galil Mountain
10. Pelter

Although none of those participating in our little "contest" got the order completely correct, six did come up with the 10 wineries on the list. Those six were Eli R, Lior Yogev, Matt Walter, Josh Patt, Menachem S and Avi Hein. Those who "erred" did so primarily in adding Vitkin, Recanati, Dalton and Amphorae to their lists. Although each of these is an excellent producer and would certainly have been on a list of the "best 15" they did not make the cut-off for the best ten.

After separating out those who got the list right, it fell on me to determine which was closed in overall order/ranking of the wineries. The two major "tests" to qualify were (a) not wandering more than two points off in the listing of any winery from my own ranked order and (b) realizing that this year Margalit out-ranked Castel. The one who comes closest, in his entry of 14 August and thus the winner is Eli R. As stated earlier on, the winner will accompany me on one of my more extensive tastings this year, an invitation to the launch of the 2009 edition of my book and a copy of that book.

Selecting two runners-up was far more difficult, so I simply made an executive decision (I have always wanted to be in position to make "an executive decision") to the effect that the others who posted all 10 of the wineries are all officially tied for second place. I thus hereby extend to Lior, Matt, Josh, Menachem and Avi a warm invitation to the unveiling of my book on 6 November. The unveiling will take place at the Tel Aviv branch of Derekh HaYain (Wine Route). I believe the event is scheduled for 16:30 but will post more on that later. For those to whom it may be concern, the catering of the event and the wines served will be kosher. Of course, whether those good people can attend or not, each will receive a copy of the 2009 edition of the book.

Hopefully this was as much fun for others as it was for me. May I request that Eli and each of the runners-up contact me by private message via the forum to let me know if they will be able to attend the book unveiling. If not, please give me a mailing address so that the book can be sent to you after the official release date.

Very best
Rogov
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

Re: Forum Contest: Winners Announced

by Menachem S » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am

I guess we do pay attention to your notes and thoughts over the year and see the progression of thinking.

Thanks