Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Age 15

User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Age 15

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 am

1993 Fisher, Cabernet Sauvignon Lamb Vineyard:
15 years old but no bottle bouquet in evidence; extroverted aromatics but relatively straight-forward – some cassis, some smoky earth, a touch of spice; still grippy in the mouth with strong but one dimensional flavors, some salinity, little nuance, reasonable balance and sustain. At release, a very highly regarded wine by certain CA savvy critics and, I admit, I bought on the strength of those assessments. I have been through a case of this wine and it has never lived up to its hype. One of many examples of why I no longer read, listen to or follow any professional critics’ recommendations.
I see nothing here that gives any indication its best days are ahead of it and, today, this isn’t worth the trouble. Fair with grilled strip steaks but still, nothing that warrants buying or cellaring this wine.
Diane comes home and has a glass and says she likes it (go figure). I ask why, as she usually doesn’t care for cabernet. She says it’s because it has no green smells or flavors – ah, such are the delights of lowered expectations.
Our last bottle.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars