Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Michael Greenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Wines enjoyed last week (Oct 5-11,2008)

by Michael Greenberg » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Well with Yom Kippur this past thursday,I eased off drinking wine till Saturday....I then had 2 VERY GOOD wines :

FIELDING ESTATE WINERY UNOAKED CHARDONNAY 2007 ,Niagara Peninsula--winemaker Richie Roberts produced exceotional value here -forjust $15.00 cdn a superb,delicious,full body unoaked chard with cystal clarity and intensity of the citus fruit (you would need to be a complete idiot to miss the pink grapefruit leading notes ,but I actually read a professional review where the reviewer talked of peach pear and apple flavours--sorry but I taste pink grapefruit and subtle other citrus flavours and some honeydew melon)--whatever you taste it is delicious...yhereis plenty of crisp acidity and a mouthwaering finish...It has great aromatics,great taste yet with some delicacy and subtle complexity in the harmony of the elements ...I usually prefer heavier creamy oaky butterscoth noted Chards-but this fruity unoaked one was simply a great taste and value ..Excellent.

RICHARD HAMILTON Colton's SGM 2002,McLaren Vale ,Australia...I had this in the cellar since release at Vintages in Dec 2006....Another Excellent value...I paid $16.95 cdn for this Shiraz Grenache Mourvedre blend and it over delivers! Gordon Stimmell in torontostar.com rated it a 91 (Dec09,2006) calling it a "wow wine" and a stunning best buy...Robert Parker gave it only an 88 and while he liked its perfumed earthy bouquet with scents of raspberries ,cherry dried herbs and underbrush,I guess he just could not bring himslf to rate a medium-body "value " wine much higher (=SNOBBERY!) -then he compounds his error in suggesting it is best drunk 1-3 years from his review (Oct 2004)..Thus I drunk it now ,past the great Parker's suggested time-AND IT IS A STUNNING "WOW WINE" --as STEMMILL said--it is drinking fabulously well...I would rate it even higher than Stemmill--THe minimum mark any honest critic could give this is a 93-it just smells and tastes too good to be below that..I would not quibble with a 94-96 mark,and I guarantee if you took this to a party and offered it iwith some 97 rated Chateuneuf Du Pape,you would probably find more people enjoying this wine. Whatever--what maters is: I just loved it. FYI--like Stemmill,I find rich plumcake ,black cherry and vanilla in the aromas and flavours,but Parker is correct in his dectetion of some dried herbs and underbrush notes,but if there is any raspberry it is very subtle--I think the plumcake is more dominant. In any case-this was a BARGAIN for the price...great over-delivery.