Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Amusing anticlimax

no avatar
User

Simon P

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 am

Amusing anticlimax

by Simon P » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to share the following with you. For years I have had at the back of my liquor closet a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian whiskey. The bottle had the tax label which had the date 1961 on it, and was an old "fifth" size which predated the 750ml size which is now standard. I think the bottle originally belonged to my father and that it was a remnant from my older brother's bar mitzva. Anyway, the bottle had about an inch of liquor left in it, and about ten years ago I had a taste, and it was delicious. I am a single malt devotee, so Canadian whiskey is not my favorite, but I decided to save this bottle for a special occasion. When my son got married last month, we had one of those rare occasions when all my children (now grown and married) are present in one place at one time. They were all with me and my wife for Shabbat preceding the wedding, and Friday night I took out the fabled bottle of Crown Royal and doled out the remaining liquor in celebration of the momentous event. The result -- IT TASTED LIKE WATER, and we all burst out laughing!!! I guess all the alcohol had evaporated, and all we were left with was colored water. My kids all knew that I had been saving the bottle for a special occasion, and it was such a humorous anticlimax that we had a good laugh -- and then opened up the single malts (plus a very good bottle of Tishbi brandy brought by my brother-in-law from Israel who came in for the wedding).

Best to all.
Simon